• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight Options/Bad eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The new to me Pedersoli Frontier I've been shooting has the factory buckhorn sights. I've never been a big fan of buckhorn sights. My vision is also total garbage. I keep it pretty much in check with the contact lenses, but I struggle with iron sights due to astigmatism.

I was considering going to a primitive rear sight, and a thin (.050 thick) silver blade front sight. Both are from TOTW.

1661214227231.png

1661214304079.png

My questions are: There are several different sizes of front sights I've seen. Low, High, Tall, and Extra tall. How do these compare with each other, and how do I chose which front sight I need relative to the rear sight?

Would opening the rear sight notch help any with the current buckhorns?

Is your vision trash, too? What did you do you help your sight picture?

I'll be experimenting with these same sights. I ordered several from TOW for my Kibler Colonial. I need a wider rear notch to see more light around the front blade. You could start out by just filing open the rear a little bit and see if that helps. A dab of white or neon colored paint on the front blade might help you as well. I like the color on pistol sights, but doesn't make a difference for me on rifles. Aging eyes...sure can make what was once easy, much harder.

The first thing we have to ask you is the application.

How far from your eyes will the front sight be? The further it is from your eyes the narrower it will be (in MOA coverage). I'm 65 and for fine target work, in good light I like a sight that covers about 5 MOA, with about 3-4 MOA of light on either side. For hunting or low light I like it closer to 8, and about the same amount of light on either side. Coarser sights for coarser work.

In general, as eyes get older you need more light to see the same thing (we can't dilate our pupils as much) so you may need more white space around your front blade. As your eyesight degrades, the blade will have to get thicker.

The calculations are relatively simple, as, a standard small bore round bull target is 8 MOA--8" at 100 yards.

P.S.; After cataract surgery shooting is a LOT more fun. So see your eye doctor regularly.

Last edited:
I went through this cycle........Wider rear sight slot...Wider front sight , then couldn't see the blessed target. Went to cobbled up peep sight on my home made .50 longrifle. All is good now. For an enhanced 50 yd. target , use blank paper , with 4" square of orange duct tape. I can see that well.

As one who is dealing with aging eyes also, I know how difficult sighting can be. As others have said, moving the rear sight more forward can help. Enlarging the rear slot can also help. I went to a rear peep but some clubs do not allow and you will be restricted 'any metallic sight' matches only. Even though I have use them for decades, silver blade front sights are not my favorites. I prefer a black 'patridge' style. Again, for me, the black work best even in fading light as they provide contrast against any target you may encounter, paper or fur. If it gets too dark to see, go home.

The new to me Pedersoli Frontier I've been shooting has the factory buckhorn sights. I've never been a big fan of buckhorn sights. My vision is also total garbage. I keep it pretty much in check with the contact lenses, but I struggle with iron sights due to astigmatism.

I was considering going to a primitive rear sight, and a thin (.050 thick) silver blade front sight. Both are from TOTW.

View attachment 157759

View attachment 157761

My questions are: There are several different sizes of front sights I've seen. Low, High, Tall, and Extra tall. How do these compare with each other, and how do I chose which front sight I need relative to the rear sight?

Would opening the rear sight notch help any with the current buckhorns?

First Q: I assume your rifle is already sighted in. If that is the case then select similar heights that you already have. I would error on the front being higher as you can take that down easier if needed. 2nd Q: Any sight for poor eyes needs more light. Yes opening and deepening the slot helps. Third Q: Not anymore after cataract surgery. Whatever you do, play with new sights by just double sticky back taping them on your rifle or a dummy rifle. You can get a visual of what to expect for result before installation. Do the sight check outdoors with the light you will use shooting. Good luck!
Larry

On choosing the right height front sight:

Remove what you have and install a black zip tie around the barrel in the front sight dovetail. Leave the tag end sticking straight up so you can use it as a front sight. Clip it off a little longer than you think you need it. Shoot the rifle paying attention to the elevation of the impacts. The windage isn't important so ignore any left/right you may get. Your impacts should be low. Continue clipping off small amounts and shooting until you've raised your impacts to the desired zero at the distance you want. You now have a much closer idea how tall a front sight you need. Buy the one that is the same or slightly taller, file it down to the height you need.

On sights for old eyes:
What works for me with any iron sight is the same principal I use and most others use shooting combat pistols.

FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT.

Concentrate on the front sight letting the rear sight and target fuzz out slightly. The fuzzy rear sight can still be used as a reference once you get used to seeing that sight picture. You can still hit a fuzzy target quite accurately once you wrap your mind around how to do this.

On buckhorn rear sights:
The true buckhorn is intended as a system to quickly shoot near, middle, and far. To shoot close targets bury the top of the front sight in the small notch. To shoot middle range targets use the whole opening as a "peep" sight and center the top of the front sight in it. To shoot far targets line the top of the front sight up with the top of the "horns". Very handy sight system.

The first thing we have to ask you is the application.

How far from your eyes will the front sight be? The further it is from your eyes the narrower it will be (in MOA coverage). I'm 65 and for fine target work, in good light I like a sight that covers about 5 MOA, with about 3-4 MOA of light on either side. For hunting or low light I like it closer to 8, and about the same amount of light on either side. Coarser sights for coarser work.

In general, as eyes get older you need more light to see the same thing (we can't dilate our pupils as much) so you may need more white space around your front blade. As your eyesight degrades, the blade will have to get thicker.

The calculations are relatively simple, as, a standard small bore round bull target is 8 MOA--8" at 100 yards.

P.S.; After cataract surgery shooting is a LOT more fun. So see your eye doctor regularly.
You need more light so your pupils constrict more and your vision sharpens. Think pinhole camera

Somewhere here is a website that you can buy a stick on prescription bubble on your safety glasses.

Also remove your rear sight, set the rifle on a flat surface and have someone move the sight forward until it is sharp. Cut a dovetail and put the sight in. Put a cover on the rear dovetail.
I built mine that way in 05, and I can still see the sights.

Got lasik eye surgery in 2009 with a well respected eye doctor. Wish I had done it sooner. Have mono vision which is one eye for distance and one for close up.

Was good to go until a cataract developed enough to cause a vision problem. Had cataract surgery on my dominant eye six months ago. Was offered cataract surgery on both eyes at the same time but decided to wait on the close up eye as it has not caused a significant issue yet. Had a good result and am good to go.

Depends on what age you get the surgery. My little brother wore glasses since age 11. At 35 he had both eyes done. Now that he is in his 60s, he has to wear reading glasses, but still has prefect far vision.

I went through this cycle........Wider rear sight slot...Wider front sight , then couldn't see the blessed target. Went to cobbled up peep sight on my home made .50 longrifle. All is good now. For an enhanced 50 yd. target , use blank paper , with 4" square of orange duct tape. I can see that well.
:rolleyes: I tried putting that orange duct tape on a bull elk .... disaster! ;)

Gentlemen, thank you so much for all of your input and advice.

I used some doubled over emery cloth and opened up the notch in the buckhorn a little and have painted the blade end in white out--what I had on hand. We will see how this helps when I'm offhand. It seems to be a lot better just sighting at things in the shop.

I also took your advice on the peep sight, and just ordered a couple of Johnson sights from Muzzleloader Supply. They were out of the apertures, but those can be found easily enough.

@The Appalachian that's an ingenious way to find front sight height. I definitely will be doing that.

Thanks again gents, got me going in a good direction.

Back