• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

sight height

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the sight height on a TC Hawken front sight measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight ?
I want to order a new glo or fluorescent front sight. My eyes are as good as they used to be to see the front sight.

Last edited:
Thank you, The closest I can find is either 0.450 or 0.500 height. So the choice is either 0.025 lower or 0.025 higher. Which would be better ?
I mean at 50 and 100 yds how much lower or higher will these front sights shoot ?

Last edited:
Thank you, The closest I can find is 0.500 height. Will this work or will it make my Hawken shoot too low ?
I mean at 50 and 100 yds how much lower will this front sight shoot ?
Why not just raise the rear sight the difference in height between the two front sights?

For a calculated change at 100 yards, if the difference is .025” higher for the front sight (.500” vs .375”), expect it to lower your POI a little over 4” at 100 yards, assuming the sights are 21” apart. Figure about half the change in POI at 50 yards when compared to 100 yards. Something you will have to confirm at the range.

Since the front and rear sights should be equal total heights above the bore C/L, a little measuring should solve your problem.

Measure the height of the rear sight's sighting notch above the bore CL with the sight in the middle of it's elevation range thus :

Measure the notch's height above the top barrel flat, then add 1/2 the thickness (measured across the flats) - that will give you the total rear sight height.

The top of the new FO front sight from the bore C/L should equal that measurement/calculation.

See which of the available sights comes closest to that measurement when mounted - the rear sight's adjustment range should be able to accommodate zeroing for small differences.

Failing that here are several different FO front sight makers online, where you should be able to obtain the front sight height and color (more on that below) you need.

FO sight beads are available in yellow, green, red, amber & God knows how many other colors - all to accommodate the color perception of the various buyer's eyes.

Forgive my ignorance, but when were adjustable sights invented/implemented main stream into these things?

IDK for sure, but most likely in the modern age (the past 60-odd years) the adjustable barrel-mounted rear sights became mainstream

However, in the mid-1800's, target shooters made/used tang (popsicle) peepsights.

On a TC Hawken from day one.
Not a Hawken expert, but have seen adjustable sights on guns claimed to be Hawken originals. Here is an example of a rifle ‘marked S Hawken which means it was made after 1842 and before 1862’.
1631242782948.jpeg
Here is the link.
http://iowablackpowderfederation.net/news/2018/An Original Hawken Rifle 2018.pdf

Back