• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight fabrication.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yeah sorta.
Grab a chunk of metal and remove the bits that don't belong.
Make front sights high and back sights narrow then file to shape.
Back sights are best to slope slightly so the back is in shadow.
Have a look at examples to see what was around if that is important.
What are you looking at doing?

That's about all I can think of.

Well yeah sorta.

That's about all I can think of.
[/QUOTE]
Bought a rear sight for my J. Armstrong build and the notch was visibly off center. Not buying another. The base of the front I ordered was thinner on one side than the other side. In both cases I couldn't change what was there. Ugh! Finishing parts is not a problem for me but I'm not going to reorder & take the chance of getting the same thing again. I would rather just make my own. Just looking for tips, advice or maybe a video tutorial.[/QUOTE]

Pooch.......... Slot off center? Solder a slice of steel to the rear of the sight , then take a Dremel type tool and a 3/16 " stone and grind the front of the sight with a slight bowl equally across the old slot until old slot is gone. Then file a new slot in the center. ..........oldwood

I’ve made several rear sights out of angle. If you go slow and be careful it’s not hard to make an effective simple rear sight. I’ve played with folded metal front sights and they can be tricky to get a good height too. I like to solder a thin strip of brass in the center.

Attachments

• 190843F2-E0AE-43E5-B3F8-E4275AC46A70.jpeg
    190843F2-E0AE-43E5-B3F8-E4275AC46A70.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 125
Pooch.......... Slot off center? Solder a slice of steel to the rear of the sight , then take a Dremel type tool and a 3/16 " stone and grind the front of the sight with a slight bowl equally across the old slot until old slot is gone. Then file a new slot in the center. ..........oldwood
Good advice for sure! Thank you. But . . . As I don't mind doing the necessary finishing of a sight, I do mind having to have to refabricate one. If I'm going to do that, I might as well make my own from the ground up. I found a video tutorial on youtube that's pretty informative. I'll try to post it.

I usually purchase three or four of different styles of front and rear sights and go from there. If I need something that is not the standard style being sold then I make my own front or rear sight. Most of the "how to books" show you how to make them and as you have discovered YouTube is your friend here. By the way Eric did a fine job on his sight - I would have tilted it to the rear a bit to eliminate any possibility of glare on the back of the sight ;) :ghostly:.

I’ve made several rear sights out of angle. If you go slow and be careful it’s not hard to make an effective simple rear sight. I’ve played with folded metal front sights and they can be tricky to get a good height too. I like to solder a thin strip of brass in the center.
I like the brass/steel lamination!

Started whittling on a chunk of steel for my rear sight today. Made the 60° bevel on the front for the dovetail. I'll have to file in the 60° dovetail on the rear yet. Made sure to lean the blade portion back about 30°. A lot of metal to be removed yet.

Attachments

• 20210301_142258.jpg
    20210301_142258.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210301_142418.jpg
    20210301_142418.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210301_141205.jpg
    20210301_141205.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210301_141116.jpg
    20210301_141116.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210301_141144.jpg
    20210301_141144.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 82
Well yeah sorta.
Love it! When I was a young Chef learning to carve ice the best advice I ever got was from a wise older Asian Chef. "You want to carve an Eagle? Cut away all the ice that doesn't look like an eagle" It's a change of mindset. I was always trying to do it from a real technical approach. Had to switch to an artistic approach.

Moving forward slowly but with success. Sight blank fitted into dovetail on barrel. No light showing between sight blank and bottom of dovetail. Now to cut away a lot of steel that isn't a sight! LOL!

Attachments

• 20210302_141727.jpg
    20210302_141727.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210302_141759.jpg
    20210302_141759.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210302_141625.jpg
    20210302_141625.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 64
Back