• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight Aids?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travler

Perusing Happiness
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy All,
As I get longer in the tooth, I am finding seeing front back and target focus points harder to obtain and switch back and forth between. I generally find the target then focus on the front sight and then the back to see if I am holding true then to the front sight again before I touch off the round. In general this is slower and longer than in days past, and then the arms get tired! LOL! Not complaining, as I love this stuff, but wondering...

I saw a few guys with something like these Lyman "Eyepal" stuck to there glasses: https://www.lymanproducts.com/eyepalr

Or another guy had a metal "tab" screwed to the tang that was not a sight exactly, cause the rifle had both back and front sites on it. But the idea was similar to the glasses thing, but on the gun instead.

Any one use stuff like this? Help? Does NMLRA allow it?

Thanks!

I have to use those sight aids all the time now. I have a Merit aperture mounted on my shooting glasses for shooting my guns that have open iron sights. Several of my guns (especially the hunting guns) have been equipped with peep sights. Can't say if they are NMLRA approved, but then again I don't shoot in their matches.

Just went looking for the Merit Optical Attachment for Eyeglasses, only to find them discontinued at most major suppliers.

You can take a piece of black electrical tape, punch a small hole (1/8 to 3/16") and place it on your glasses.

I think your right on the home made peep. But, It was a third site and the aperture was bigger than a true adjustable peep that I have used before. It was a cool idea at least.....

You can make the pinhole by burning a hole in electrical tape with a hot pin. Tape it to your glasses. Try it out.

You never could focus on the front sight and the target. It is impossible. Switching back and forth is a mistake. Focus on the front sight. Let the target be blurry. Aim for the center of the blurry meatball.

A wider front sight is a good idea. I now make them about 1/8" for a long rifle.

Shooting faster, before your muscles get tired, not flinching, and good follow through are far more important than exact sight position when the shot breaks.

About 2 years ago I switched to multi focal contacts. My front sight on handguns was hard to see. This year I found an eye doctor who shoots and let me go see him with my gear. Spent an hour and a half trying different lens and prescriptions so that my focal point was on the front sight. Ended up making left eye Rx a little stronger and right eye Rx a little weaker. I did loose a little distance vision, I went from 20/10 to 20/15, but now my front sight is clear. I would say shop around for an eye doctor who specializes in sports prescriptions and if your really lucky one who gets shooting. They can do a lot to make sure your lens work for you.

Do a search for adjustable glasses. The Rx can be adjusted with a wheel while on your face. I haven't tried them but it should allow the front sight to be clear and the other eye to see.

I went to Costco and got a pair of "computer glasses". I lied to them and set the perfect focus distance at about 4-feet. The bottom of the bicofal is 18" to 6". Those glasses take me from 6" to the front sight of a long rifle.

IF I put the tape pinhole on these glasses, given sufficient light, I can have everything in focus at the same time.

Avoid progressive lenses. You will end up tiling your head up and down until you run out of muscle strength. The center strip in progressives is in the wrong place for shooting anyway.

Like I said make the front sight clear, let the target be blurry, don't flinch, follow through.

Shoot straight, have fun.

I took a set of those flip and down sun glasses that clip on my eyeglass frames, ground a hole in the area I would be looking through when shooting, put a piece of electrical tape over that hole, then burned a pin hole through the tape. It works great, its not in the way when I don't need it and I don't have to fool around locating the exact spot to put tape on my eye glasses every time I go shooting. I use it while hunting too.
Robin

Back