• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Side plate mortise woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello gents
I’m thinking about getting a used fowling piece. The seller built it himself from a TVM kit. He did a good job on everything but he upgraded to a Chambers Early Virginia lock. The stock had been pre inlet for a Siler. So he got creative and made his own side plate from sheet brass.
4ADDE0CE-4F6A-476C-B96B-9E888FBD5DE9.jpeg

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get this looking a little cleaner? TOTW sells 4x8 sheet brass in different thicknesses. Should I just cut another side plate and try to fill the whole mortise?
Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hello gents
I’m thinking about getting a used fowling piece. The seller built it himself from a TVM kit. He did a good job on everything but he upgraded to a Chambers Early Virginia lock. The stock had been pre inlet for a Siler. So he got creative and made his own side plate from sheet brass.
View attachment 30694
Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get this looking a little cleaner? TOTW sells 4x8 sheet brass in different thicknesses. Should I just cut another side plate and try to fill the whole mortise?
Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Thoughts??? Yes! If the person who butchered this side plate put the rifle together I would be looking into other items as well. The trigger guard is a disaster! If this is really a cheap purchase it could be considered by one who really wants it. I personally would not mess with this cob job. I do not mean to be harsh, but you asked for thoughts. There are plenty of good fowlers out there.
Good luck
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Not to mention the abrupt edges of the mortise panels. Does the lock side look the same. A look at Dave Person's entries on edges of the lock and side plates would be a worth while exercise.

Thoughts??? Yes! If the person who butchered this side plate put the rifle together I would be looking into other items as well. The trigger guard is a disaster! If this is really a cheap purchase it could be considered by one who really wants it. I personally would not mess with this cob job. I do not mean to be harsh, but you asked for thoughts. There are plenty of good fowlers out there.
Good luck
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

That would have to be pretty darn cheap, the whole thing is pretty poorly done. It would be a lot of work to make it decent.

If it can be bought right, less than the cost of the metal parts, you can restock it. Just think of it as a partial kit. Did he use a farrier's rasp for the wood? Though it's possible to improve what's there it'll never be right. Of course if it functions as is you could simply ignore the looks and shoot it. Kind of like a lot of cars I have owned.

Hi,
I would run away from that deal. The lock is a Chambers and might be OK but it looks like he flattened the sides of the top jaw screw? The barrel might not be easily salvageable if he fitted the breech plug as well as he built the rest of the gun. Here is what the lock panel should look like with the same style of lock. The last photo is of an original fowler from the 1760s:
vMLAxTd.jpg

ubwcTRo.jpg

FGUdyKs.jpg

4c0Z98H.jpg

DqYSIcE.jpg

dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I’ll pass on this one. Too much labour for my meagre skills it seems. Ive been looking for a smoothbore with at least a 40inch barrel since mid March but am having a tough time. I thought there’d be more used pieces with guys thinning their collection to make some cash during the pandemic but it doesn’t seem to be so.

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I’ll pass on this one. Too much labour for my meagre skills it seems. Ive been looking for a smoothbore with at least a 40inch barrel since mid March but am having a tough time. I thought there’d be more used pieces with guys thinning their collection to make some cash during the pandemic but it doesn’t seem to be so.
Don't forget to post a "WANTED" in the forum Firearms For Sale/Trade/Wanted
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Hi,
I would run away from that deal. The lock is a Chambers and might be OK but it looks like he flattened the sides of the top jaw screw? The barrel might not be easily salvageable if he fitted the breech plug as well as he built the rest of the gun. Here is what the lock panel should look like with the same style of lock. The last photo is of an original fowler from the 1760s:
vMLAxTd.jpg

ubwcTRo.jpg

FGUdyKs.jpg

4c0Z98H.jpg

DqYSIcE.jpg

dave
Dave,
Your beautiful work above the original makes me feel like an amateur/newbie. Thanks for showing us how the big boys do it.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Where I nearer to you I would cheerfully attack it into better form , be a challenge , I've rescued a few disasters . If you've a good barrel & the locks a good one it looks like there's wood enough to re form . The flattened cock jaw screw looks like he wanted a hole as well , they sell spares if that bothers you .I've never seen a TVM kit parts look good though, Sure the guards a botch but curable . I don't so much disagree with the negative comments but it dos'nt seem a complete basket case to me .
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back