• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Side dishes- Rice, Pasta, veggies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colcannon

1 head cabbage, sliced/shredded
5-6 medium/large Irish potatoes, washed & peeled then cut into 1/4's
2 cups mushrooms, chopped/sliced (sausage may be substituted for mushrooms if you want some meat in your Colcannon)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped (the reason for the different color peppers is strictly aesthetic - makes for a more attractive presentation - feel free to use only one color or leave them out entirely)
1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
1 tsp Rosemary, crushed or whole
3-5 cloves garlic, crushed
salt, to taste
Tobasco sauce, to taste
Any additional spices you like, to taste.

Cooking directions:

Throw everything in the biggest Dutch oven you can find (I use a 12 or 16 quart) and cover with water (occasionally I'll use a 1/2 water - 1/2 beer mixture).

Cook covered over a good hot fire or bed of coals until potatoes are cooked through.

After the first 15 minutes, check often for taste, stirring Colcannon every time you taste it. (This gives you an excuse for continually taking the lid off!)

This is a traditional Irish dish and makes for a delicious stick to your ribs meal.

Note: Originally made with mashed potatoes and served as a thick porridge, I prefer to simply 1/4 the potatoes and serve as a stew.

Submitted by The Kansan

Herbed Rice

2 cups water
1 cup rice
3 tsp chicken or beef bouillon granular or 3 cubes
1 tsp. Italian herbs
a dollop or butter probably 1 or 2 TBLS

Cook about 15minutes until liquid is absorbed.. This goes good as a side with most any meat....

Submitted by Cookie

Real easy sweet hot dill pickles

1 gallon dill pickle chips
1 or 2 12-oz. jars of Jalapeno slices (1=warm, 2=hot)
4 lbs. sugar

Preparation: Drain and discard* juice from dill pickles. Dump pickles in a large mixing bowl, and add the jalapeno slices (with juice) and sugar. Stir until well mixed and the sugar is dissolved. Pack back in the jars (or your own Mason jars) and refrigerate.
*I did save some of the pickle juice though and added to make sure I had enough liquid.

Hey guys I tried this its easy and taste great. Got it off a other site. If a gallon is to much you can cut the recipe in half. The way they taste a gal is not too much. I made a half a gal a week ago and it was gone. I cut the sugar down a bit and it still tasted great. So experiment with the taste you want. I would imagine you could use the dill pickle spears too just have to let sit a bit longer. Mine were good after the second day. By the time they were gone they really tasted good

Submitted by jh45gun

Barley Stuffing
Low Glycemic

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2C sliced fresh mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons minced scallions(green onions)
1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
Poultry seasoning to taste
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked pearl barley

Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet, Saute the mushrooms and garlic until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the scallions, rosemary, poultry seasoning, broth and barley and bring up to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer and cook--stirring occasionally__about 45 minutes until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed or cooked off.

Submitted by: Bountyhunter

Hush Puppies

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup white cornmeal
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 cup finely grated onion
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic finely grated or minced

Preparation:
Stir together, baking powder and cornmeal. Stir baking soda into buttermilk, then stir into dry ingredients. Add beaten egg and mix well. Add onion and garlic and mix. Shape into small balls and drop into 400 degree deep frier until golden brown.

Submitted by snake-eyes

Sweet Pickled Eggs

Ingredients:

1-2 dozen eggs, boiled, and shells removed!

1-2 cans of whole beets and juice (15 oz. cans)

1-2 cups of Vinegar and sugar, in equal amounts. 1 cup each if you are only doing 1 dozen eggs, proportionally more if you are doing more eggs.

1- white or red onion, sliced and broken up, or cut into chunks.

1/4 cup of nibblet corn- fresh or frozen is best.

1/4 cup green beans, cut.

1- cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp of powdered fresh cinnamon)

1-tsp. maple syrup.

Fill the balance of the jar with water.

Preparation: his is a simple recipe, that I encourage people to experiment with to pickle boiled eggs.

In a half gallon glass jug, or plastic jug, with a good screw-on cap, put the boiled and peeled eggs in. Add the ingredients listed above.

Put the cap on it, and shake the mix thoroughly to mix the vinegar and sugar equally throughout the jar.

Refrigerate for at least one week, to allow the pickling and red dyes from the beets to penetrat the egg whites. The sugar is carried into the egg white with the vinegar and dye. The dye becomes your marker to tell you how far along the process is, and when its done. The dye does not penetrate the cooked yolk.

The cinnamon is simply for flavoring and to give the mix a nice aroma. The maple sugar is for the nose, so that when someone opens the jar, to smell, they will get the aroma of sweetness, but not really know what the odor is, as the vinegar is also aromatic. You can get rid of the cinnamon stick any time you get it in your spoon. Its done its job.

These eggs can be eaten alone, or become part of a salad. A tossed salad with the ingredients is very easy to throw together. Just use your favorite lettuce, and any other ingredients you like. The mix can also be served as a separate dish or salad in its own right. I like to cut the eggs in half, or quarters, and serve them on a bed of lettuce, a scoop of cottage cheese, with one or two of the whole beets, some of the beans, corn and onions to garnish, my favorite salad dressing, and maybe some crushed walnuts. This can be as elegant or as plain as you desire.

You can put other vegetables in this mix, and substitute things. If you don't like beets, and sweet beets in particular, you can obviously leave them out. I used them so I could see if the vinegar and sugar were making any progress in penetrating the egg whites. Now that I know that happens, there is no reason that you have to use the beets. The maroon colored eggs do draw comments, and when the guests finally try the eggs and find out that they are sweet, it is a very nice surprise to them. I have not served this to anyone who didn't like them. In fact, some people who never liked beets, because they always were served them in a sour sauce, actually decided they liked sweet beets!

Submitted by: Paul Vallandigham

Bacon-Fried Taters with Onion

Ingredients:

1/2 lb sliced bacon or streak-of-lean
4-6 medium or large white potatoes (yukon golds are very good also) sliced 1/4" (you need to have room in the skillet to stir the taters so keep this in mind)
1 medium-large onion sliced 1/8"
black pepper

Preparation:

Over medium-hot fire in medium-sized DO or deep skillet fry bacon until about 1/2 cooked then add taters and cook about 15 minutes stirring/turning occasionally, covering the pot will speed the cooking. when taters are nearly done add onions and finish cooking stirring every so often to prevent the onion from over-cooking sprinkle w/pepper when nearly done. this also does well when subbing cabbage for the taters. good with most any roasted meats.

Submitted by Blizzard of '93

Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

sweet potatoes or yams
olive oil

Preparation:

peel potatos
slice into about 1\4 inch slices
put some oil on a baking sheet, get all the slices coated with the oil
put them in a 350 oven, about 5 or 10 min,give em a flip
they are done when they start getting brown spots on them, check with fork, should be soft inside.
Salt an pepper to taste. Bet ya can't eat just one!
Good on Barbq too, over a fire in fryin pan or on the grill.

Submitted by Hawkin12

Colcannon

1 head cabbage, sliced/shredded
5-6 medium/large Irish potatoes, washed & peeled then cut into 1/4's
2 cups mushrooms, chopped/sliced (sausage may be substituted for mushrooms if you want some meat in your Colcannon)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped (the reason for the different color peppers is strictly aesthetic - makes for a more attractive presentation - feel free to use only one color or leave them out entirely)
1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
1 tsp Rosemary, crushed or whole
3-5 cloves garlic, crushed
salt, to taste
Tobasco sauce, to taste
Any additional spices you like, to taste.

Cooking directions:

Throw everything in the biggest Dutch oven you can find (I use a 12 or 16 quart) and cover with water (occasionally I'll use a 1/2 water - 1/2 beer mixture).

Cook covered over a good hot fire or bed of coals until potatoes are cooked through.

After the first 15 minutes, check often for taste, stirring Colcannon every time you taste it. (This gives you an excuse for continually taking the lid off!)

This is a traditional Irish dish and makes for a delicious stick to your ribs meal.

Note: Originally made with mashed potatoes and served as a thick porridge, I prefer to simply 1/4 the potatoes and serve as a stew.

Submitted by The Kansan
Colcannon quickly became a favorite of ours a few years back !

Back