• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Siberian Snaplock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyten

Eastern Miquelets
Reaction score
I spent last month hitching through Siberia while the weather was still good. In Gorno-Altaysk I came across this drawing from a Soviet railroad workers journal that was on display, showing and describing what the locals were using to hunt in the region.

F705E974-96E4-4178-B6AF-764E79A9929B.jpeg

The Rifle Shoppe sells a kit for one just like it, but I had always thoughт it was more of a Baltic area styled gun. During this time, many breechloading shotguns were used by poor folks/natives converted from Krnka/Berdan/Mosin rifles. It is interesting to see that even into the 30’s the old muzzleloader were still being used.

Hi Cyten

Thanks for posting. Interesting you bumped into that. The bipod attached to the gun stock seemed to be popular only in the various Eastern markets. Never really caught on in Western markets.
I also thought these guns were mostly Baltic origin. But not really sure. There are about a handful of these guns that have turned up in museums and collectors in California. Possibly brought here by Russian immigrants (?). They all seem to be of small caliber, for hunting smaller game I suppose. But they are simple, interesting guns.
Here is a lock that would likely have been found on one of these guns. Belongs to a fellow Forum member. All hand made from scratch. Note the manual pan cover.

Rick
AIOtmp (Medium).jpg

The Russian flintlock I made from the rifle shoppe parts was a little different. The outside mainspring looked like a regular hooked mainspring, but on the outside of the plate. The hooked end rode on the bottom of the hammer, like a tumbler. Kind of like the Italian miquelets. Dog catch with a spring on the back end.

For as much time I've spent in California, I'm surprised I've never seen any then. I always imagined this is what kind of arm the explorers like Baranov used in Lord of Alaska.
I have seen similar rifles in Kyrgyzstan but with a snapping matchlock. I don't have any photos on my current computer but here is a painting from 1871 by Vasily Vasilyevich.
a-rich-kyrgyz-hunter-with-a-falcon-1871.jpg

Hi Cyten

Thanks for posting. Interesting you bumped into that. The bipod attached to the gun stock seemed to be popular only in the various Eastern markets. Never really caught on in Western markets.
I also thought these guns were mostly Baltic origin. But not really sure. There are about a handful of these guns that have turned up in museums and collectors in California. Possibly brought here by Russian immigrants (?). They all seem to be of small caliber, for hunting smaller game I suppose. But they are simple, interesting guns.
Here is a lock that would likely have been found on one of these guns. Belongs to a fellow Forum member. All hand made from scratch. Note the manual pan cover.

RickView attachment 99574
Any chance of seeing the back of that?

My this is great 'Left Field stuff' . Not so sure about the togs but great theme and fascinateing guns . My great Mentor Elmer Johnston of Washington State was into Simerpols? the small l bore Russian guns & made examples .. I believe he had concluded that the guns where primerally to kill fur bearing creatures in traps & most all the pacific coast was trapped & traded in by Russians long before the Hudson's Bay & North West Company and other similar concerns where active in that region . Hitching through Siberia ! ,Your my sort of adventurer. All good stuff Thank you for posting.
Regards & positive salutations .
Rudyard

YES, Please, we need further detailed instruction on the making of such locks and guns! Our Russian and Baltic Muzzleloading traditions have been ignored too long! Please help us rise above the swamp of ennui and ignorance into the sunlit uplands of gun building NIRVANA! Our ancestors from the Eastern regions expect tribute in BUFFALO MEAT!!!

Dear Tree Stalker .You have an admirable way with words, good on you and clearly an imagination beyond the norm .I see Pukka caught it too he has just such an emaginitive grasp re the archaic & uncommon guns. Something I relate to as well .
Ide gleefully leap over a pile of Thompson Centers to get too just one batterered Mongolian Matchlock. Which observation might raise the ire of thousands of contented TC owners . But ile risk it .
Regards Rudyard

d304126754cbfdea16497315771bf4a6.jpg

Here is another example of one, minus the means for a bipod
Is that a duel i
Dear Tree Stalker .You have an admirable way with words, good on you and clearly an imagination beyond the norm .I see Pukka caught it too he has just such an emaginitive grasp re the archaic & uncommon guns. Something I relate to as well .
Ide gleefully leap over a pile of Thompson Centers to get too just one batterered Mongolian Matchlock. Which observation might raise the ire of thousands of contented TC owners . But ile risk it .
Regards Rudyard
Rudyard, your hands on experiences would fill a book, the places you've been, things you have seen and been in! We mere mortals stand in Awe of such a scouter. Thank You, Sir!

Wow fan mail!. I only set off to find a better climate all the countries where sort of in the way but once I got the knack it got to be normal I ended up 'Living in a World ' & emulating the geese (Who are not as silly as they look ) swopping hemispheres for years till I married at an F & I Grand Encampment over looking Fort Ti & the Lake from Mount Defiance . Suitably attired Primitive of course . When you see some Bo hanging round a marshalling yard or on an on ramp with a card saying some far place & a tiny S V,P , That was me ,It was a service that We provided for bored travellors . If they only knew of Football or Rugby Im,e stumped but any aspect of history ,geography,. current affairs , philosophy ect we where away & I often stopped talking long after they needed to turn off they being so engrossed by the conversation . You didn''t get that on the goods trains but you got great views from a' fully air conditioned observation car ' Co Conrail, or Burlington Northern. Illinois Central, C N wasn,t picky but preffered the 'Hot shots' Refridgerated freight since they where the expresses on penalty on A to B time limits .
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Back