• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Showing off the new kid in town. CVA 50 cal. The stock will need some help.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yours has a two screw patch box where the ones made in the USA had a four screw patch box. This is Spanish import. But that doesn't mean that it isn't a good gun. Mine is a Spanish import that I made from a kit and it is my go-to gun on shooting match day. Mine is a .50 cal and likes a .015 patch and 65gr of fffg. Have fun refinishing it. I agree that an oil finish is best. I used Permalyn sealer and then Permalyn oil finish followed by J&J paste wax.

Take time with the lock and trigger set up. CVA often inlet the trigger plate too deep and it interfered with proper function. Seeing as how you bout it used it may already bee set up correctly.

Take time with the lock and trigger set up. CVA often inlet the trigger plate too deep and it interfered with proper function. Seeing as how you bout it used it may already bee set up correctly.
I was going to mention that too as part of Mujji's request to know more about these rifles.
They didn't really make the inlet too deep, it's that the whole of the inletting in that area was quite a lot, with drying through the years and ham handed owners over-tightening the tang screw, the wood supporting the trigger plate get's compressed. The result is the trigger riding too high in the stock. When that happens the trigger cams are too high and contact the locks sear arm when they shouldn't,, the result is the lock won't stay in full cock or will only go to full cock when the set trigger is used.
The simple fix;
Is to place a shim under the front of the trigger or re-bed the area so the trigger plate stays in the right position.
With the triggers 3 adjustments, the set trigger screw, the mainspring travel screw and the mainspring tension along with that screw in the tumbler,, a super fine balance in trigger function can be had.
Some cuss and deride the set-up,, I love it,

I did notice a small washer placed under the trigger plate... I will remember to put it back when I reassemble it. The triggers seemed to work fine, but you never know how well they are set up until you are dropping the hammer.

Thank you all for sharing your information. Please keep it coming. :) I am the all not knowing.

The black powder gun I will always keep is the CVA Mountain Rifle 45, that I put together back in 1981. 4 deer the last 4 years. Nice rifle. Good shooter. Good luck with yours.

This is my 1976 50 cal. CVA percussion rifle converted this year to flint with CVA lock. I wanted to tell you I had the barrel smoothbore to 20 gauge. VERY HAPPY! Wish you the best!

Attachments

• CA73E15E-56D2-44F2-A9FC-9C32FD7867B3.jpeg
    CA73E15E-56D2-44F2-A9FC-9C32FD7867B3.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 41
Three days ago I got the stock cleaned up for finish. First I painted it down with MinWax Jacobean 2750 stain and left it over night. The next morning I cleaned off as much as possible with mineral spirits. It was darker than I liked so I lightened it by rubbing it down with 0000 steel wool. I got pretty close to what I was looking for by doing that. I then began doing a very thin hand rub with Watco Danish oil in dark walnut to warm up the dark Jacobean undertones. I have done this morning and night, rubbing quite hard until the oil felt warm from friction, for two days now. Here is what I have so far...

Attachments

• 20211025_064437.jpg
    20211025_064437.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211025_064246.jpg
    20211025_064246.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 32
For some reason the light in my shop made one side more redish looking. The picture on the right is closer to what it looks like.

Here are the products I have been using.

Attachments

• 20211025_063800.jpg
    20211025_063800.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211025_063834.jpg
    20211025_063834.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 32
And here it is... I think it came out better than I had hoped. Before, and after.

Attachments

• CVA 50 cal mountain rifle as bought 1.jpg
    CVA 50 cal mountain rifle as bought 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 32
  • CVA Mountain rifle finished.jpg
    CVA Mountain rifle finished.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 33
The CVA Mountain Rifle 50 cal was my first build way back from a kit found at a pawn shop.... some 30 years ago, I wish I still had that one. Didn't know much about them then, as there was no instructions when I bought it, so it was a blind build. Trial and error in loading for it, as I didn't even have a powder measure at the time..... good find, great CVA muzzleloader.

Back