• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show your Muzzleloading gems.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Frankie. You didn't mention whose post you are referring to, so I'll assume your question is related to my Brooks Colonial.

The wood is hard maple. The forestock is fairly plain with only minor curl. In the lock area through the wrist it starts some transition with more curl and the "interesting" pattern which intensifies in the buttstock.

If someone knows for sure what causes this pattern I'd love to know. I've examined a lot of online pictures and can't find anything that matches. Best I have come up with is crotch wood and/or in combination with spalting and/or burl.
yes to your post. It is awesome.

This is my BP herd, although it's changed since then. I sold the pedersoli trade gun and bought a GRRW 12G parts gun.

Left to right

Pedersoli Missouri River maple 50 cal 1:24"
Pedersoli Rocky Mountain walnut 54 1:66"
Pedersoli Jager walnut 54 1:66"
Centermark Fusil de chasse cherry 20G
GRRW leman trade rifle maple 54 1:66"
Pedersoli trade gun walnut 20G
View attachment 192549

GRRW 12G parts trade gun maple
View attachment 192550
Thats what i.m talking about

Hunting with muzzleloaders I usually employ two methods. First, still hunting, or 'walking them up' as we say around here; walking in a scouted area until a target animal is spotted, then commence a stalk. Second, stand hunting or concealed in a hide. This matches well with my other joy, birdwatching. The benefits of this, is I get to observe what birds come into an earth tank or dam and often get to while the day away with a good book and a camera under a shady canopy. Also, when in a hide, appropriate ethical ranges are known right to the water's edge, certainly no more than 50 metres, often as close as 20 metres. The target species at the block I frequent are chital deer, feral pigs and wild dogs. I have spotted the occasional rabbit, but I have never been able to add one to the pot.

Pete
View attachment 192614View attachment 192615View attachment 192616
For some reason I had you in WA not Qld.

I think chital are the most beautiful of all deer species, I've been wanting to get back up there for a long time to hunt and photograph them. You're a lucky man!

It's great to see another bird watcher, saw my first burdekin duck when I hunted chital about 12 years ago, unfortunately at the time I only had a cheap camera and the photos fall far short of the quality of yours.

If you do get a rabbit, soak him in brine for 24 hours, then either stew him or cut into strips and using egg wash and seasoned crushed cornflakes fry him up. Wild game does not get much better!

We do similar down south, red, fallow and sambar are all stalking but for our annual hog deer hunt it's all treestand/highseat hunting. You get to see some amazing things when you've had time for nature to carry on around you.

Beautiful photos by the way.

I started to take pictures of the rest of my stable of muzzle loaders to show them off here. Made the UGE mistake of gathering them all in one spot. Ole Eagle eye's money pincher started sputtering like a Elco outboard!
I will be posting more pictures, one rifle at a time. IN THE classifieds!
truthfully i didn't realize what i had. and more parts on the way so there will be some percussions and "maybe" i will part with a flinter or two. sob, snivel, gasp.
You need a large gun safe and “NEVER” open it when your wife is there!!!!

OK...a lot of beautiful and unique guns shown. Let's keep the show going.

This is a build I did from a full stock flint Hawken kit from TOTW. .58 cal 36" straight barrel. Patchbox is not part of the standard kit. I added that.
2023-01-24_11-22-47.jpg

2023-01-24_11-22-35.jpg

2023-01-24_11-23-52.jpg

2023-01-24_11-24-42.jpg

2023-01-24_11-24-10.jpg

2023-01-24_11-24-59.jpg

2023-01-24_11-25-17.jpg

Two four shot groups during load development and sight adjustments.

2023-01-24_11-26-03.jpg

My wall rack has the finest that any BP Shooter would love to have in his inventory.
These three beauties are going up for sale very soon as I'm an old man now at 73 and in very poor health.
I'm trying to find a home for all three rifles to someone in better physical condition to do them justice.
All three are still virgins and have never been fired in the field or at the range.

Virginia Flint Lock 54 cal. Curly Maple Stock
Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken 54 cal. Percussion Curly Maple Stock
Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken 45 cal. Percussion Curly Maple Stock

Attachments

• My Muzzleloading Collection.jpg
    My Muzzleloading Collection.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0

This is a build I did from a full stock flint Hawken kit from TOTW. .58 cal 36" straight barrel. Patchbox is not part of the standard kit. I added that.View attachment 192890
View attachment 192889
View attachment 192891
View attachment 192893
View attachment 192892
View attachment 192894
View attachment 192895

View attachment 192896
Outstanding. Strikingly beautiful. More than a fine job. You have created a work of art in wood and steel. Enjoy!

From left to right:

58 cal 1:38 twist 24" Hoyt rebarrel in a WMC stock Maxi ball 580 gr conical
54 cal 1:38 twist 26" CVA Mountain Stalker in a Frontier Hunter laminate CVA Deerslayer 425gr conical
54 cal 1:48 twist 24" CVA Frontier Hunter CVA deerslay 375 grain conical
54 cal 1:38 twist 21" Hoyt rebarrel in a WMC stock No Excuses 485 gr conical
50 cal 1:32 twist 21" Ardesa Hornady Great Plains HP-HB 385 gr conical
50 cal 1:32 twist 24" Traditions Pioneer in a CVA Frontier Stock Hornady Great Plains HP-HB 385 gr conical

stable.jpg

This is a build I did from a full stock flint Hawken kit from TOTW. .58 cal 36" straight barrel. Patchbox is not part of the standard kit. I added that.View attachment 192890
View attachment 192889
View attachment 192891
View attachment 192893
View attachment 192892
View attachment 192894
View attachment 192895

View attachment 192896

View attachment 192889
View attachment 192891
View attachment 192893
View attachment 192892
View attachment 192894
View attachment 192895

View attachment 192896
I WWWAAANNNTTT THAT!!!!!

From left to right:

58 cal 1:38 twist 24" Hoyt rebarrel in a WMC stock Maxi ball 580 gr conical
54 cal 1:38 twist 26" CVA Mountain Stalker in a Frontier Hunter laminate CVA Deerslayer 425gr conical
54 cal 1:48 twist 24" CVA Frontier Hunter CVA deerslay 375 grain conical
54 cal 1:38 twist 21" Hoyt rebarrel in a WMC stock No Excuses 485 gr conical
50 cal 1:32 twist 24" Traditions Pioneer in a CVA Frontier Stock Hornady Great Plains HP-HB 385 gr conical

stable.jpg
renegades-----I love them.

View attachment 194976
I've learned so much about Oz from this forum. Like, everything wants to kill you!
Please don't tell me that these beautiful animals want to kill me, too!
Not everything 'wants' to kill you Brazos John, it's just that some things have the potential to kill you 😄! It seems that most visitors from the other hemisphere are concerned about our spiders, snakes, crocodiles and such, but what I am very wary of here in North Queensland, particularly hunting in the wet season, is Melioidosis. The Burkholderia pseudomallei bacterium that causes melioidosis usually enters the body via cuts on the skin, or via inhalation of dust or droplets, and very rarely by drinking contaminated water. During the dry season the bacterium is found in deeper soil layers, but during the wet season it can be found in the surface layers and in muddy surface waters. This is why most cases of melioidosis occur during the wet season following heavy rains and flooding. Melioidosis can kill you; it can cause you to have limbs amputated as lifesaving treatment 😲.

So here, it's not the things that you can see that should make you cautious, but those little blighters that are invisible! And no, no threat here; this band of lovely chital deer will be off and running as soon as they sense a human observer. I took this image from a bird hide in the late afternoon, a gorgeous summer's day. It's moments like these that make me appreciate being out in the bush - many don't seem to understand that it is more than just the 'hunt'.

Kindest regards, Pete

Back