• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show your Muzzleloading gems.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a well designed rifle. What is the twist?
It's from a 1980's kit and research I did said 33" CVA Kentucky guns were 1:66 twist rate. I bought the old kit missing parts like the lock and trigger for $30 just to get the barrel. Only used the barrel and sights from that kit pinned instead of using keys. On this style gun I just like them built plain with a pretty stock and iron furnishing. The other CVA barrel I got from a junked kit at the same time was a 50cal 28" used to build this Leman Trade Gun with Siler Mountain Lock and nice stock with LMF Honey Maple Stain. Both barrels are very accurate. The 50cal is as accurate or better than my Douglas and Green Mountain ones on other guns. Have not shot the 45cal enough to get the sights just right since I just finished it.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's from a 1980's kit and research I did said 33" CVA Kentucky guns were 1:66 twist rate. I bought the old kit missing parts like the lock and trigger for $30 just to get the barrel. Only used the barrel and sights from that kit pinned instead of using keys. On this style gun I just like them built plain with a pretty stock and iron furnishing. The other CVA barrel I got from a junked kit at the same time was a 50cal 28" used to build this Lemon Trade Gun with Siler Mountain Lock and nice stock with LMF Honey Maple Stain. Both barrels are very accurate. The 50cal is as accurate or better than my Douglas and Green Mountain ones on other guns. Have not shot the 45cal enough to get the sights just right since I just finished it.
fine looking rifle. you did a very nice job putting it together.

Original Hunting Bag from the 1800s
I acquired this bag in the 80s from the family of the original owner who was a friend & older member of our arms collecting club & is in amazing condition for it's age.
He stated the bag was part of a cased percussion shotgun brought to America in the late 1930s from Poland as the family was escaping encroaching nazi forces.

The body of the bag is water proofed canvas with two compartments plus a small snap pocket. It's entirely trimmed in leather with leather shoulder straps & still retains the cap holder & hanging fowl stringers & would still be usable if some minor repair was done to the leather shoulder straps.

Attachments

• Pictures from Iphone 517 (2).jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 517 (2).jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pictures from Iphone 520 (2).jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 520 (2).jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 0
Here is Samson my Don Bruton 62 cal Boone rifle

Azrael my Joe Schell 62 cal woodsrunner

Jezebel my Joe Schell 40 cal woodsrunner

Baby Sister my Don Bruton Boone pattern 40 cal which Don made and I finished

Don Bruton built this 12 ga smooth rifle for me in his Boone pattern and I finished it. He nicknamed it the squirrel runner

My 12 ga turkey gun built by Joe Schell which I call Achilles. Its a seasoned old veteran.

Here is Samson my Don Bruton 62 cal Boone rifle

Azrael my Joe Schell 62 cal woodsrunner

Jezebel my Joe Schell 40 cal woodsrunner

Baby Sister my Don Bruton Boone pattern 40 cal which Don made and I finished

Don Bruton built this 12 ga smooth rifle for me in his Boone pattern and I finished it. He nicknamed it the squirrel runner

My 12 ga turkey gun built by Joe Schell which I call Achilles. Its a seasoned old veteran.
I am jealous

It's from a 1980's kit and research I did said 33" CVA Kentucky guns were 1:66 twist rate. I bought the old kit missing parts like the lock and trigger for $30 just to get the barrel. Only used the barrel and sights from that kit pinned instead of using keys. On this style gun I just like them built plain with a pretty stock and iron furnishing. The other CVA barrel I got from a junked kit at the same time was a 50cal 28" used to build this Leman Trade Gun with Siler Mountain Lock and nice stock with LMF Honey Maple Stain. Both barrels are very accurate. The 50cal is as accurate or better than my Douglas and Green Mountain ones on other guns. Have not shot the 45cal enough to get the sights just right since I just finished it.
very nice and clean

That is a first for me. What year was that made and origin?
The Maker(Wales D. Carlton from Woodstock Vermont), was a machinist in 1847 and a gunmaker in 1859(according to the US census) and died in 1860.
So it was made between 1848 and 1859.
His stamps are on the barrel “Woodstock V” and “W.D. Carlton”.
AB718C58-208B-48AD-A89B-19F1022718F2.jpeg
I’ve never seen another smoothbore like it.

The Maker(Wales D. Carlton from Woodstock Vermont), was a machinist in 1847 and a gunmaker in 1859(according to the US census) and died in 1860.
So it was made between 1848 and 1859.
His stamps are on the barrel “Woodstock V” and “W.D. Carlton”.
View attachment 162372
I’ve never seen another smoothbore like it.
very very cool. If it was mine it would be a keeper. Thanks for posting that. Just when I think I have seen it all one a gem like this comes along.

I hope guys and gals keep posting pictures of their gems. It's the number one reason I'm on this forum. I am amazed at the rifles I see and am very jealous. I think they need to be showed and admired. They are art, even the so called simple ones (if there is such a rifle). Thanks to you all that have posted pictures.

Latest posts

Back