• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show us your range box!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't build this box. I found it for sale online. It must have been a tradesman box as it had drill bit size charts in it. Its big enough to store my spotting scope in the bottom. Unfortunately it's an inch too short to stand up a Goex 1 lb. container in it. Other than that, its perfect for what I need at the range.
20200725_194237.jpg
20200725_194024.jpg
20200725_194054.jpg
20200725_194120.jpg

I didn't build this box. I found it for sale online. It must have been a tradesman box as it had drill bit size charts in it. Its big enough to store my spotting scope in the bottom. Unfortunately it's an inch too short to stand up a Goex 1 lb. container in it. Other than that, its perfect for what I need at the range.View attachment 37936View attachment 37938View attachment 37939View attachment 37940
It's a different approach. I've seen a similar box. In fact I've seen a set of plans for a box like that. I'd like to be able to carry a small spotting scope I'm my box as well.
8a71436980f57cf8fd01d530651545e2.jpg

There's another guy using an antique sewing box here to. Does it require any beefing up to deal with the weight?

I have a hunting bag and horn for each gun I own. The pouch has the particulars needed to shoot and maintain it’s own gun. I also carry to the range a small purpose built box carrying extras and range only stuff such as pencils, paper, extra powder, etc. I have one for Smoothbore and one for rifles.
AA9F6973-48DA-4B2E-B3A6-E1ABC40B193E.jpeg

I have a hunting bag and horn for each gun I own. The pouch has the particulars needed to shoot and maintain it’s own gun. I also carry to the range a small purpose built box carrying extras and range only stuff such as pencils, paper, extra powder, etc. I have one for Smoothbore and one for rifles.
View attachment 38103
Nicely done! Love the organization!
I'm a little OCD, lol

I shoot club matches but shoot from one of my bags. Range box is a tool box crammed full of stuff and it stats in the truck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 161
There's another guy using an antique sewing box here to. Does it require any beefing up to deal with the weight?
I loaded it up pretty full, with 300 RBs in it and the pistol in the bottom and it seems pretty study. The bottom shelf is beefier than the ones that “accordion” out. The handle is attached by 2 screws per side, which I tightened from the inside. Those may eventually be replaced with through-bolts if I discover that they loosen up again.

I shoot club matches but shoot from one of my bags. Range box is a tool box crammed full of stuff and it stats in the truck
Nice use of a cantilever toolbox. I like the horn and bag set up but our state run range doesn't! I still want to put together the right acoutrements for each of the firearms I own though. I think it's important when explaining the history of a particular firearm (revolutionary, civil , and French and indian wars etc). Nice set up!

As functional, well though out and finely crafted some of these range boxes are what would more likely have been historically accurate would have been a rough shipping crate or storage box, repurposed for holding shooting gear (or just a large shooting bag).

My current box is a cheap red plastic tool chest and I want something more appropriate.

I have seen a few like this in this thread, any others out there?

Last edited:
Well, you said "rough shipping crate or storage box" It would be a fairly simple project for you to put one together so make a rough sketch of what you want and go for it! I can almost guarantee you will be happy with the results. All projects are a compromise of some sort and after you build one you might later decide that you will build another one slightly different to meet your changing needs. Make the wood chips fly and enjoy the project! : )

As functional, well though out and finely crafted some of these range boxes are what would more likely have been historically accurate would have been a rough shipping crate or storage box, repurposed for holding shooting gear (or just a large shooting bag).

My current box is a cheap red plastic tool chest and I want something more appropriate.

I have seen a few like this in this thread, any others out there?
A shooting box would never have crossed the mind of a rifleman in the 18th or early 19th century. Everything would have been carried in pockets or the shooting pouch. When we look at paintings of shooting events, there are no range boxes or tool caddies shown.

A shooting box would never have crossed the mind of a rifleman in the 18th or early 19th century. Everything would have been carried in pockets or the shooting pouch. When we look at paintings of shooting events, there are no range boxes or tool caddies shown.
I've actually seen shooting box's for long distance target shooters from the 1800s. That's kind of what I was going for. The bag is time tested and true for most people with working guns but that's not true for target or range shooters. This box was from circa 1800, it's full of precision muzzleloader powder chargers and bullet molds and loading tools.
unnamed (2).jpg

That is a wonderful box and my remarks were more in line with the shooting habits of a hunter who occasionally goes to a target range for recreation.

@Capnball, that is a wonderful box that appears to be well suited for a long range target shooter from the late 1800's in the era of target shooting practiced after the American Civil War. I observe the bullet mold in the foreground and the bullets in the box. I can't read the dates on the shooting cards in the box. The rifle in the background if it is contemporary with the box is post 1860.

A more casual shooter could have a open caddy box with the articles needed for the shooting session.

I am not the one to demonstrate what should constitute a range box. Mine is too heavy. Contains too much stuff as I might be shooting several different rifles and pistols.

I have room for the revolver/pistol loading stand and all my accessories. Seems as if it gets heavier every time I go to the range.
Range Box.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back