• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show us your range box!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is a fangs box :)
I do have several non hc stuff there. Some bronze brushes modren jags and ball puller. Along side old style pliers ball screw and worms
I got a whole drawer full of vise grips at home. Too bad they dont make something that looks period correct like some black smithed vise grips or something

Once upon a time, I got a 2 piece toolbox with wheels and folding handle. Figgered to put ALL my shooting stuff into it to have everything on hand. Trouble is, I usually didn't need EVERYTHING for most range trips.
Over the years I accumulated a bunch of nylon canvas lunch bags with zipper tops. They're just the right size to load up with range stuff. I've got one for cap & ball revolvers; one for percussion rifle; one for flint rifle, and another for smoothbore. In addition I've got bag & horn combos for a couple of rifles.
And then there's bags for modern revolver, pistol and rifles ...

Once upon a time, I got a 2 piece toolbox with wheels and folding handle. Figgered to put ALL my shooting stuff into it to have everything on hand. Trouble is, I usually didn't need EVERYTHING for most range trips.
Over the years I accumulated a bunch of nylon canvas lunch bags with zipper tops. They're just the right size to load up with range stuff. I've got one for cap & ball revolvers; one for percussion rifle; one for flint rifle, and another for smoothbore. In addition I've got bag & horn combos for a couple of rifles.
And then there's bags for modern revolver, pistol and rifles ...
There does seem to be an evolution of accessories and how they are transported. I know I see guys with possibles bags and even smaller belt bags that will hold everything you need for a day. I started with the paper bag I got at the BP store with powder, balls, caps, patches and jags. That evolved into the cheap plastic toolbox. Now that's evolving into something custom that looks like it might have existed at a 19th century shooting competition. I've always admired the handmade possibles bag and horn look and utility. I also have an original 1861 rifled musket that I'd like to use a civil war style cartridge box and cap box on a belt with preloaded paper cartridges. For now, all these things take up alot of space, not to mention cleaning and repair tools. I like everything in one place. I may not know exactly where it is in the box but I know it's in there!
KIMG1222.JPG

tenngun, I really like the bag idea; being able to move one's stuff while keeping the hands free. Could you suggest a source for the old style pliers?

This started life as a sewing and knitting box from Joann's. I added stronger hinges, 3 cross pieces of 1" x 1" on what was a very flimsy bottom.

7-2014Muzzleloader supplies wood case I built backsm.JPG

The box started out with raw, unpainted wood. I used wood stain and sealed it against water.
The inside:
7-2014Muzzleloader supplies wood case I built inside2sm.JPG

7-2014Muzzleloader supplies wood case I built insidesm.JPG

I started another box, but I have to wait until my assistant gets out of the way.
Rusty in Gun Box crpsm.jpg

Ron

Last edited:
This started life as a sewing and knitting box from Joann's. I added stronger hinges, 3 cross pieces of 1" x 1" on what was a very flimsy bottom.

View attachment 36681
The box started out with raw, unpainted wood. I used wood stain and sealed it against water.
The inside:
View attachment 36682
View attachment 36683

I started another box that was a plain, shooting box from Walmart, but my I have to wait until my assistant gets out of the way.
View attachment 36684

Ron
I do dig that round top, that's not something you see all the time.

You guys are craftsmen! Beautiful! I just use a flat hard bottom duffel bag that says “Wheaties” on it. Won’t post a pic of it though, someone from Jr high might recognize it and razz me some more.

You guys are craftsmen! Beautiful! I just use a flat hard bottom duffel bag that says “Wheaties” on it. Won’t post a pic of it though, someone from Jr high might recognize it and razz me some more.
My hope with this thread is to inspire others to build their ultimate range box and thereby giving me better ideas for mine, lol!

Started off life a little smaller, then added the slabs on the sides to organize screwdrivers, vent picks, files and the such. Then leather straps on the side for short starters and caps.

Attachments

• 54CA67E1-C9C9-4597-AF21-732D59FFEED0.jpeg
    54CA67E1-C9C9-4597-AF21-732D59FFEED0.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 200
  • DBE3F393-138D-4F36-B680-E8F7540E6D2A.jpeg
    DBE3F393-138D-4F36-B680-E8F7540E6D2A.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 178F9EC9-78CC-47DE-A47A-0F2DF85B45F0.jpeg
    178F9EC9-78CC-47DE-A47A-0F2DF85B45F0.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 223

Latest posts

Back