Quantcast

Show us your range box!

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Capnball

40 Cal
Reaction score
Indeed, that’s an awesome one. I really love #26 as a loading stand. I don’t have skills to make one as nice as either of them, but they are certainly great eye candy for me.
Well the box that I saw that inspired me to build one is this box. Mine won't be anywhere near as nice but it'll be within my skill set.
Black-Walnut-Gun-Cleaning-Kit-for-12-16-20-28-and-.410-gauge-shotguns.jpg

Brent

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This might give you some ideas. Though this one is a BPCR box, it could be easily be made w/o the cartridge block for dedicated muzzleloading. I made this one from sugar maple. In my opinion, I need to be able to open the closed compartment without removing the rifle from the rack. and I wanted both an open and a closed compartment for things that are largish and things that need protection. This one is 11.5" by 24". The covered compartment is slightly narrower than the open one. I just made a slightly shorter version for a friend.

TXFlynHog

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like that idea Brent. Since I shoot flintlock (not caps), my pan flash would have to be taken into consideration too. Plus.. at my range, we have a rule that only the gun you are shooting, and the ammo that it takes can be on the table at the firing line. Everything else needs to sit on a table behind the firing line.

Now they tend to overlook that a bit for muzzleloaders (I've only seen one other muzzleloader there, and he's the guy in the mirror). I tend to have a leather bag with round balls on the shooting table, a brass ram rod, priming power, patches, and cleaning patches spread around my table. That's a terrible disorganization that I'd like to amend, so I'm hoping to be able to have a loading bloc for the pistol that's built into a box that holds the other stuff....

Capnball

40 Cal
Reaction score
This might give you some ideas. Though this one is a BPCR box, it could be easily be made w/o the cartridge block for dedicated muzzleloading. I made this one from sugar maple. In my opinion, I need to be able to open the closed compartment without removing the rifle from the rack. and I wanted both an open and a closed compartment for things that are largish and things that need protection. This one is 11.5" by 24". The covered compartment is slightly narrower than the open one. I just made a slightly shorter version for a friend.

Love the corners and the grain. There's an elegance to it's simplicy. I tend to way over think things. I set out to build a box that would address a very long list of wishes I had compiled. All of it stretches my design and building abilities. I have a forum buddy who used to be a cabinet maker who's been great with his time and expertise. Now if I could get sombody else to take care of my house chores, I might be able to finish it before the shooting season is over.

Capnball

40 Cal
Reaction score

Capnball

40 Cal
Reaction score
There's something timeless about an old tool box used for a specific purpose. Of course my only concern is the metal and the potential for a spark but if you're keeping powder in a seperate container, it works as good as anything else. I inherited a garage full of homeowner quality tools from a relative. While none of it is collectable most of it was useful. There were two similar metal tool boxes in the pile of stuff I got. I was actually able to make two pretty good sets of tools between what I got and a few things I bought at Sears and I gave each box to my two sons for their homes. Tools and tool boxes never go to waste.

Josephg

32 Cal
Reaction score
Powder is always either in a horn or flask. Never liked using powder straight from the can. One of these days might get me one of those nice wood shooting boxes. A box made from thin wood, but fancy.

Capnball

40 Cal
Reaction score
Powder is always either in a horn or flask. Never liked using powder straight from the can. One of these days might get me one of those nice wood shooting boxes. A box made from thin wood, but fancy.
Lol, I never bring bulk powder to the range. There's a guy on YouTube with a flinter who set off the better part of half a pound can sitting next to him on the bench. I always bring premeasured plastic tubes in a plastic box (20 each) in two seperate box's in a plastic ammo can. The only thing I bring to the firing line is just one box.
74812.jpeg

Josephg

32 Cal
Reaction score
Yep, I do the same thing for some things like slug gun matches. Round ball guns not so much. Just load from a flask or horn.
slug gun bullets and box.jpg
glass vials in wood box.JPG

Capnball

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just spent 2 weeks building this in my shop. Used a elk shed for the handle and Oregon Ash and alder for the wood along with spalted maple for the inner boxes.
Great box and fun to make. I did the inlay work as well.
Looks great, nice finish to. Love the antler handle.

Capnball

40 Cal
Reaction score
Lots of good looking boxes. But I won, in a blanket shoot, a nice hemp bag, used to use a wallet but went with this. Except casting stuff pretty much is all the tools o need for my gun.
So just for S&G my ‘range box’:DView attachment 36465View attachment 36467View attachment 36468
Id hit a love button if they had one. My only problem with the photos is ye old vice grips! I know, I know, they're good for everything but I'd leave em in the bag for pictures.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Id hit a love button if they had one. My only problem with the photos is ye old vice grips! I know, I know, they're good for everything but I'd leave em in the bag for pictures.
Well it is a range box :)
I do have several non hc stuff there. Some bronze brushes modren jags and ball puller. Along side old style pliers ball screw and worms