• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show off your first muzzleloader!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Post your first muzzleloader and chime in a little history about it.

My Tower Flintlock after conversion to percussion:

A Japanese made 69 cal "Tower" flint pistol is my first muzzleloader. I purchased it right out of high school in the early to mid 60s from a hardware in Omaha NE. The first pound of Dupont BP at the same hardware was $1.95 a pound. It was a flintlock and being ignorant as how to make a flintlock reliable, got discouraged and converted it to percussion. It sparked very poorly and just needed a new, or case hardened frizzen. I had no idea where or how to obtain RB for it. I had not even heard of DGW. A school mate's father dabbled in gun sales at his home. I went to him and he measured the bore and ordered me a mold from somewhere. It worked like a charm even though it is a smooth bore. Not knowing the laws of Omaha I called the Omaha Police department with respect to owning and registration. Don't laugh, I had no idea so I asked them. Oh, sure you have to register this pistol they said! Off to the police department I went with my non trusty flintlock . 😂 When I got there the PD said "This gun does not have a serial number, we will have to put one on it" They did, and the number is shown in the second photo. There are unfortunately too many illegal guns in Omaha, but mine at the time was legal. You no longer have to register a muzzleloader pistol in Omaha.
The faceplate where the pan was removed is all pitted as you can see. I had a friend chemically treat ( I think acid bath) the steels before applying a chrome plate. Not too historically correct, but it shoots reliably!

Flintlocklar🇺🇸

IMG_2935.jpeg
IMG_2934.jpeg

My first black powder muzzleloader was this hacked-up, abused .36 caliber Pietta Remington 1858. I bought it about 10 years ago for $92.

I shortened the barrel even more, rounded the butt, and did other modifications. Then I hot caustic blued the gun.
100_2861.jpg

100_2873.JPG

100_2874.JPG

After I was done with the gun, I made this crossdraw holster for it.
100_5041.JPG

100_5042.JPG

100_5043.JPG

100_5048.JPG

100_5049.JPG

100_5102.JPG

Last edited:
My first black powder muzzleloader was this hacked-up, abused .36 caliber Pietta Remington 1858. I bought it about 10 years ago for $92.

I shortened the barrel even more, rounded the butt, and did other modifications. Then I hot caustic blued the gun.View attachment 44861
View attachment 44862
View attachment 44863

View attachment 44864
View attachment 44865
View attachment 44866
View attachment 44867
View attachment 44868
View attachment 44869

How’s the pin stay in.

My first muzzleloader was the CVA Bobcat. Let me find a representative pic online.

Hmm....all the pics I have found are ads. Anyway, basic CVA with epoxy-coated black stock. I put TC adjustable sights onto mine (big change in hitting the target!) and a musket nipple.

I shortened the barrel even more, rounded the butt, and did other modifications. Then I hot caustic blued the gun.View attachment 44861
View attachment 44862
View attachment 44863

View attachment 44864
View attachment 44865
View attachment 44866
View attachment 44867
View attachment 44868
View attachment 44869
I o_O love it

Post your first muzzleloader and chime in a little history about it.

My Tower Flintlock after conversion to percussion:

A Japanese made 69 cal "Tower" flint pistol is my first muzzleloader. I purchased it right out of high school in the early to mid 60s from a hardware in Omaha NE. The first pound of Dupont BP at the same hardware was $1.95 a pound. It was a flintlock and being ignorant as how to make a flintlock reliable, got discouraged and converted it to percussion. It sparked very poorly and just needed a new, or case hardened frizzen. I had no idea where or how to obtain RB for it. I had not even heard of DGW. A school mate's father dabbled in gun sales at his home. I went to him and he measured the bore and ordered me a mold from somewhere. It worked like a charm even though it is a smooth bore. Not knowing the laws of Omaha I called the Omaha Police department with respect to owning and registration. Don't laugh, I had no idea so I asked them. Oh, sure you have to register this pistol they said! Off to the police department I went with my non trusty flintlock . 😂 When I got there the PD said "This gun does not have a serial number, we will have to put one on it" They did, and the number is shown in the second photo. There are unfortunately too many illegal guns in Omaha, but mine at the time was legal. You no longer have to register a muzzleloader pistol in Omaha.
The faceplate where the pan was removed is all pitted as you can see. I had a friend chemically treat ( I think acid bath) the steels before applying a chrome plate. Not too historically correct, but it shoots reliably!

Flintlocklar🇺🇸

View attachment 44858View attachment 44859
thanks for sharing it with us. so the 0-1, makes it a serial # until you replace it or remove it? times rely have changed! BTW, the way I rely like it!

in the early 1950's there were no reproduction guns, except cap guns. so we used to shoot original ones. every house hold seemed to have one kicking around from years gone by. then VAL FORGET brought out repos of historic weapons from I beleave JAPAN, and the rest is history. BTW, the one that I shot back in the 50's was an origionally BROWN BESS, yes that is right. and yes I wish that I had it today! but 70+ yrs ago will never be again!

My first was a used 51 Navy. I don't have any pictures because it was a long time ago. I was young, I was disappointed in it because mostly because I knew nothing about them. It did shoot good though. Better than I realized at the time. I hadn't even shot pistols before and this one was so dirty by the time I got to the 6th cyl, I could barely pull the hammer back. Fast forward about 10 years and I got a used CVA Kentucky rifle. Got it because of the hunting advantage during primitive season. That's when I found out how fun they were and started learning about them. I still have that one, in fact I later converted it to flint.

Mine was a CVA .45 cal. flintlock. Built it from a kit back in 1983 to hunt deer with in New York area that was limited to shotgun or muzzleloader. Never did get a deer with it, but now in S.C. I've pulled it from "retirement" and will try to get a deer this year with it. Range time shows it's still minute-of-deer at 50 yds.

traditions “Springfield Hawken” 54 cal. purchased at Bass Pro in the late 90’s. They were selling the rifle for 100.00. There was a big box of them to pick from, no box or packaging. I didn’t take as good of care of the bore as I should have, I was learning, but it is still a tack driver shooting buffalo bullets.7EBA4AE6-F90B-4108-922B-8648D19176BE.jpeg4A1BC67C-720D-4E1F-91F9-882059CA12E6.jpeg

Mid 50s I ordered a imported 410 shotgun [advertised??] It was a real piece of junk. I could not buy black powder anywhere around. Fixed it up pretty and sold it for $11 as a fireplace decoration. Polecat

I echo Toot's comment. When I was first corrupted, only originals were available, in one condition or another.
My first was(I was told) a British offer's fusil/forager's fusil. 'The muzzle is worn paper thin. I recently used a simple wedge gauge to guesstimate .72-75. Still sparks well & fires on first try.

If my dad hadn't hung onto it for me, it'd be a memory too. Thanks to him, it's a memory I can still occasionally fire.
I've only ever fired blanks or light shot loads but it still has great handling and patterns decently.

The infection took; I'm still in love w/ the smell of BP.

Back