• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show me your turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got there a little late, about 7:15 am. I loaded my rifle at the truck, listening all the while. Nothing. I was hunting from a pop up blind less than 100 yards from a powerline, this is one of my tried and true locations for both turkeys and deer. Mid to late in the season those single gobblers cruise this part of the property and across the powerline looking for a willing hen. 10 AM to well afternoon is when I call in most of my birds. I chose to use only one hen decoy and placed her about 30 yards away between me and the powerline. I chalked up the 2 box calls and 2 slates I usually carry but decided to start out with just 2 of them. A slate call that gives perfect purrs and clucks. And an old box call that has gotten sweeter with age, like a spruce top on a dreadnought guitar. Plus it carrys a long way down in the woods.
I started off with a few clucks just in case one was close, then made a series of long range yelps. Nothing. Every 15 minutes I repeated those loud calls. Nothing. So far I hadn't heard a bit of turkey talk.
I checked the time it was a little after 9 am. A few minutes later I made another series of long range yelps......... a gobble! Far off.
I waited a few minutes and repeated.... another gobble.... he answered me. Usually I'd shut up about this time but this one only moved when I called so every few minutes I'd call again, and that kept him coming. Finally he was right in front of me across the power line, then he shut up. I spent a few minutes getting set up to make a shot straight to my front then let out a yelp. GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLE! He really hammered it out but he wasn't to my front he was about 50 yards to my left, I could see him. I knew that I'd blown it.
Then he started sneaking and looking, sneaking and looking, then sneaking and strutting a little, all the way from left to right across my front never giving me a shot. Then he went out of sight and was quiet.
"That's it" I thought. "He's gone" But you never can tell about those birds so after a few minutes I made one cluck and he gobbled right back 50 yards to my right. Now he's moving slowly back to the decoy still too far. He goes into a strut....and doesn't come out of it but he's still walking in a zig zag back towards the decoy. I can see him good but there's too much brush. Then he comes out from behind a tree and he's close enough but still in a strut. I can see the head through the sights and move the front post back to the wing butt....my triggers are set.....I shoot but in the still morning air I can't see nothing but smoke. Then he's on the ground flapping, moving to the left, and he gets up and starts walking while limping on the right side. I thought he went behind a thick spot but he didn't, he only went about 10 yards. And he's got an 11 inch beard.
I built this rifle 15 years ago mainly as a turkey rifle. She has a Rice, B profile, 40 cal. barrel, LH Large Siler lock, Davis set triggers, iron furniture in an Issac Haines stock. The stock was stained dark but it has lightened up some from handling.
SS850061.jpg

SS850067.jpg

Great story Darkhorse. I enjoyed it very much.

So. I am still looking to relocate. The healthcare corporation I work for has a hospital in Lavonia, GA.
Based on your story, I can hunt turkey with a muzzleloading rifle in Georgia? Private land only, or state land too?
Thanks for sharing.

It was small town in Texas, shop was mandatory for all boys. Near the end of the 1st semester "Coach" Willis asked who wanted to build a rifle in class.
My hand shot up.
Dad went to Heard's Hardware and got me the CVA Kentucky rifle kit for Christmas.
I carried the kit on the bus, the driver said leave it in the box.
By spring break i had it in the white, again I carried it home on the bus, but had to sit behind the driver.
Shot it all week, back on the bus. Got it stained and took her home the last time, again riding the bus 1 1/2 hours.
I miss that old man, he was a good teacher.

When school started almost everyone had a shotgun in the window rack of their truck for dove, then in November it disappeared and a Winchester 30-30 took its place.
The hardware store is now a restaurant called "The Brick"
You can still see the old hardware signs painted on the second level of the building coming down Mason Street and around the corner on 59th.

You can still see the old hardware signs painted on the second level of the building coming down Mason Street and around the corner on 59th.

That's a fact, went in there once to eat, the line was too long so we went to Longhorn Cafe; I went to school with Scott.

Last edited:

Grizz, did you know that Heard's used to sell cars? They came in by train boxed up in a crate and were stored on the 2nd floor. When one was sold it was uncrated, assembled and cranked. The huge freight elevator was used to lower the assembled motor vehicle to the first floor. Then they were driven down the ramp on the side by the police department.

Grizz, did you know that Heard's used to sell cars? They came in by train boxed up in a crate and were stored on the 2nd floor. When one was sold it was uncrated, assembled and cranked. The huge freight elevator was used to lower the assembled motor vehicle to the first floor. Then they were driven down the ramp on the side by the police department.
Now that is something I did not know. I did not live there, but was in the area frequently with my Uncle who did business with several of the area farmers. He had a hay bailing, stacking and insulage cutting business and I had the honor of hustling bales and driving both a drag bailer and New Holland swather. What fun!
Still get off the highway and drive through town to get some vittles when I go up that way.

Great story Darkhorse. I enjoyed it very much.

So. I am still looking to relocate. The healthcare corporation I work for has a hospital in Lavonia, GA.
Based on your story, I can hunt turkey with a muzzleloading rifle in Georgia? Private land only, or state land too?
Thanks for sharing.
Brokennock, The state regs state "any muzzleloading firearm", no difference between state and private land is noted.

Congrats to the both of you.Great achievements indeed.Brad,how about some details on that beautiful smoke pole.

Congrats to the both of you.Great achievements indeed.Brad,how about some details on that beautiful smoke pole.

There are 2 there! The bird against the rock wall was killed with a 20 ga American Fowler built by Al Comer in Mo. I used 60 gr of 2F under 70 gr by vol of #5 lead shot.

The bird on the logs and under the big tree were killed with my 20 ga Tradegun of unknown make. Not a mark on it anywhere, except for the Lott lock? Suspect it is a kit gun. I use 70gr of 2F under 80 gr of #5 shot in it.

Congratulations on the birds! I love the photos with you guys in your period clothes. I gotta wait till May to chase the gobblers.

Back