• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show me your flintlock pistol!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m assembling my first kit gun-a Pendersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol and I’d love to see some pics of similar finished handguns before and during my build. I can search the forum and Google, but that’s such a tedious process I’m hoping to convene several pics here too!

I’m interested in evaluating stock shapes, stain colors and how y’all finished (or bought) the metals too!

Here is mine. I have more work I would like to do; perhaps browning the metalwork. I have several coats of oil finish on this and don't like the smooth plastic appearing finish. A more open grain finish looks more natural, though this type of birch doesn't have much grain.
It shoots OK, ignition is a bit slow; I haven't tried it with 4F.

Attachments

• DSCN0241.JPG
    DSCN0241.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 154
Do what I do: go on Google Images and look at hundreds or thousands of images of originals!
Of course, you get a view of what these guns look like after one or 200 years, but I want mine to look as authentic as possible.
If you put a dark stain and a thin oil finish you can age it or reapply later and allow it to acquire natural patina and character. Or you could leave it unfinished and let the wood take up lots of hand and powder stain, then finish over that! (I haven't tried that yet... YMMV)

I think I the shape of this stock is very similar to mine, except mine is a bit longer. I wondered about a smooth bore pistol before buying this one... do you load that with shot, or a RB?
Both. I load with shot in spring summer an early fall for snakes. 600 patched ball when it goes with me for a just in case when deer hunting

Here are a couple of images of a “pocket” pistol I made in 2018. The first image is during the building stage and one item I would like to point out is that even with a pre-carved stock, be sure that you made the lock panels narrow. You can see the line I drew to help when shaping the stock. Also, make the stock in front of the lock as thin as you can and maybe consider replacing the rear thimble with one with a tang on it.

pistol-length-2.jpg

fullsizeoutput-26c0.jpg

And if you want to see how the firearm goes from blank to finish, search the posts by Dave_Person, a MASTER and generous builder.

These are beautiful. I’d like to build a flintlock pistol. Even if it’s from a kit vs scratch build. I haven’t looked into the best place to buy the parts. Maybe that’ll be my next project.

I’m assembling my first kit gun-a Pendersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol and I’d love to see some pics of similar finished handguns before and during my build. I can search the forum and Google, but that’s such a tedious process I’m hoping to convene several pics here too!

I’m interested in evaluating stock shapes, stain colors and how y’all finished (or bought) the metals too!
My flintlock pistols.
ED2EB74B-8266-45F5-A389-3D1A7CC71BF7.jpeg
D957FC95-6AC7-4A32-B86B-DF4917655747.jpeg

Back