• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show me your cherry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Kibler SMR in cherry. This is my first rifle build but i have used a lot of cherry in furniture and other projects and love the way it works and looks. The finish is Tried and True oil. I like to let the cherry age naturally.
Squirrel and rifle.jpg
Rifle in the snow.jpg

I made a bunch of them years ago. A good piece of cherry is a joy to work with!!
This is a .32 I made for my wife.
View attachment 72727
View attachment 72728
View attachment 72729
If I remember right, I just let the sun do its work on this one, Made the furniture from german silver. I am not a good photographer, but the color of the wood is very warm and pleasing.
View attachment 72730
.45 half stock with cherry wood rib. I think I used aqua-fortis on this one which requires some rubbing out with steel wool but the resulting color is very nice to my eye.
Good luck, you will like working with cherry, heck, I even like the smell.
Robby

Dang, I woulda married ya for that rifle!!

Well you guys just made my life a lot more complicated! I'm giving serious thought to a Kibler Southern Mtn kit and I couldn't decide whether I wanted plain maple of cherry. I settled on plain maple and then all these photos showed up. What's a poor old boy to do?

Well Hell! I guess since ya liked the fowler ya may as well get a fowler in maple and the other in Cherry. Aint no other correct answer now that weve tempted ya!

Love the SMR in cherry!
So now, after looking at a number of rifles, most have similar wood tone/color. Wondering how Flintandsteel got the richer dark cherry color. Also seems to have more character in the stock.... are there degrees of cherry as in CM2 CM3 etc....?

Chris Hirsch build this one in the 80's. .40 caliber poor boy. He told me it was the only cherry piece he built as he became allergic to the wood toward the end of the build.

Attachments

• Hirsch cheek.jpg
    Hirsch cheek.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 117
  • Hirsch lock side.jpg
    Hirsch lock side.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 143
Love the SMR in cherry!
So now, after looking at a number of rifles, most have similar wood tone/color. Wondering how Flintandsteel got the richer dark cherry color. Also seems to have more character in the stock.... are there degrees of cherry as in CM2 CM3 etc....?
I don't know what the 'CM2, CM3 means, there doesn't seem to be a universal standard for the measurement of figure in wood. If you are looking for figure, 'crotch wood', 'burl', and 'roping' are terms I have seen when describing cherry. the first two can vary quite a bit the third term is a bit harder to describe so here is a picture.
timthumb.php.jpeg

I did a fowler with this patterning but have no pictures. It is a lot more subtle than the striping in maple but does add to the look.
Robby

Some time back I questioned whether stock blanks are flat or quarter sawn. It can make a big difference in the appearance of the wood. I never saw a response to the particular question.
For an example, Tickle Google and compare images of flat sawn vs quarter sawn sycamore.

Cherry reacts to direct sun very fast and putting your gun in direct sunlight everyday will have it attain a deep rich color in no time. There are ways to deepen the color of cherry without stain, one is ammonia. I have never used it but have seen it used and indeed it does change the color radically, I have used aqua-fortis which can turn the wood almost black, but with some #0000 steel wool and some elbow grease it will bring out a wonderful color beneath that black and if there is carving it can give natural highlights to the area. Every piece of wood within a specie can react differently so experimenting is a good idea.
Robby

Cherry reacts to direct sun very fast and putting your gun in direct sunlight everyday will have it attain a deep rich color in no time. There are ways to deepen the color of cherry without stain, one is ammonia. I have never used it but have seen it used and indeed it does change the color radically, I have used aqua-fortis which can turn the wood almost black, but with some #0000 steel wool and some elbow grease it will bring out a wonderful color beneath that black and if there is carving it can give natural highlights to the area. Every piece of wood within a specie can react differently so experimenting is a good idea.
Robby
Thank you!

IMG_1418[281].jpg
This was my first attempt at building a long rifle . That was 40 years ago. I replaced the Dixie lock with a new L&R lock. The Dixie got too loose.. Rather than putting Locktite on the screws, I just changed it. This piece of cherry was a good choice. Love the grain of the wood.
IMG_1420[280].jpg

I used to store Cherry parts in the backroom in the dark at the furniture mill after it came off the floor. Before it went to the floor we would wrap the rough stock in cardboard as the fluorescent lights would darken it within a month. Like Robby mentioned, I'll bet the sun would do it even faster.

Back