• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should we allow peeps in the general contests I run?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzleloader contests allowing peep sights

• Yes, allow peep sights

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • No peeps; keep it as it is

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
My vote is no. That's like having a trade gun match and some guy is shooting a trade gun with a rear sight, it does make a diffidence.
I would point out that about 10% of known historic trade guns had a rear sight. If you choose not to put a sight on your trade gun, I would think you shoudnt shun those that do.
That said I’ve never tried to bully my way in to a smoothie shoot, and have shot against rifles instead of ‘fair’ guns.
I ve never entered these. So don’t have skin in the game. You who do are dependent on people’s honesty. It would be too easy to cheat. Since it’s just for fun why worry if Joe needs a peep to see well enough to shoot and Bob can see well enough to shoot with out them? Unless Joe resembles a smelly body part who only wants to win no matter what, he wouldn’t be sticking one on his rifle if he didn’t need it.

Another example of an early peep, from 1670.

upload_2019-3-7_11-40-52.png

Spence

I don't have anything against the "peeps" with pin holes in them that people put on their glasses. They just serve to allow the eye to see better at different distances but they do nothing to align the guns sights with the target.

Fixed peep sights on the other hand serve to align the gun with the target and at the same time increase the eyes ability to see better at different distances.
Because fixed peep sights eliminate the problem of judging the alignment of a notched rear sight and the post type front sight I think they give an unfair advantage when they are used.

Here's the hard and fast truth of the matter: We're a bunch of geezers with failing eyes. Jethro and his buds using the guns back in the day were young punks with good eyes. In our area anyway, if we organized a shoot and didn't allow peeps, about 3 out of 30 of us regular shooters would even bother to enter.

If you're going for historic facts, the fact was most guys back in the day didn't live half as long as we do. And the few survivors to our age were well out of the shooting business by the time they were 50. Gotta choose which historic fact you're gonna lean on. No peeps means you're looking for a younger generation that just isn't signing up for traditional muzzleloaders.

BB, I agree with you're comments. If a guy needs a peep sight to shoot let him in the contest. There are not a lot of contestants so I would like to see more join in. I think that to start out put everyone in one group and just have the ones with a peep sight say so and if the results say they are shooting much better than the rest then maybe a separate category would be warranted. There are no prizes and it is totally on the honor system so the more the merrier. I could care less on the PC/HC comments as I do not care. Being an old geezer too (choke) I have been fortunate with my eyesight which has never changed over the years but if it had I would be using a peep as well. Life is too short -- lets shoot and enjoy the matches.:horseback::thumb:

I voiced my opinion on the members shoot thread that they should be allowed for those who need them. I like the idea of noting peep sights were used on the target. Then Terry can see (bad pun) if there is an advantage to using them. I just have hard enough time holding my rifles steady off hand that sights wouldn't seem to make much difference. We are only shooting at 25 yards and it is an honor system. There is no way for others to know if I shoot from a bench or with cross sticks. The targets I send in make it obvious that I'm not doing that. This is for fun and I welcome letting those who can't see open sights having the chance to participate. If you shoot well with open sights and use peeps, then you violate the spirit of the contest, but only you will know.

I would point out that about 10% of known historic trade guns had a rear sight. If you choose not to put a sight on your trade gun, I would think you shoudnt shun those that do.
That said I’ve never tried to bully my way in to a smoothie shoot, and have shot against rifles instead of ‘fair’ guns.
I ve never entered these. So don’t have skin in the game. You who do are dependent on people’s honesty. It would be too easy to cheat. Since it’s just for fun why worry if Joe needs a peep to see well enough to shoot and Bob can see well enough to shoot with out them? Unless Joe resembles a smelly body part who only wants to win no matter what, he wouldn’t be sticking one on his rifle if he didn’t need it.

Just my thoughts. I shoot my trade gun all the time against rifles at my club and at roo-voo but that is my choice. Beside once in a while I do win and its so much fun to rub it in that they got beat by a gun with no rifling or sights. All trade gun events I have been to only allow front sights. But I am a kind of "go with the flow guy" if they decide to have peeps them we have peep sights. No big thing.

The only way to not have an "unfair advantage" in equipment is to have everyone shooting absolute identical guns. Do the people who spend more $$ on better barrels have unfair advantages?

Shooting offhand, my disadvantage is my arm strength and tendonitis :) Even with a light gun, I'm minute of pie plate at 50 yards.

I do understand the concern about peeps though.

Are there not any national standards you can just follow and be done with it?

I'm trying to keep the contests in the spirit of what Jethro ran
No for peeps for the reason you just said, throw that out and it's anyway you like. Your own statement is what you need to go by.
Peeps on the glasses (sparky tape) should be allowed just like eye glasses are. Correcting eyes, but not changing a traditional rifle sight.
Flintlocklar

I say No.
More over the question shouldn't have even been asked. Now you have put forth the dilemma of people having to choose between cheating by using an advantage or lying about it when asked.

I'm a yes, as has been pointed out by a few, peeps have been used for a long time. I like them and a few of my rifles have them, most don't. Perhaps someone only has one rifle and it is equipped with a peep sight only and he or she would like to participate in the contest. Just my 2 cents.

As expected, lots of opinions. For the record I posted it here to get it seen so if I do change the rules those who would shoot but don't because they want/need a peep will see it.

That said I appreciate the feedback.

If the pole ultimately says no, I'll run a separate division allowing it for those who want and the regular match.

If it says yes I will allow it in general shoots, and request that your Target be marked if you used one so I can track the data and see just how much of an advantage it gives.

As expected, lots of opinions. For the record I posted it here to get it seen so if I do change the rules those who would shoot but don't because they want/need a peep will see it.

That said I appreciate the feedback.

If the pole ultimately says no, I'll run a separate division allowing it for those who want and the regular match.

If it says yes I will allow it in general shoots, and request that your Target be marked if you used one so I can track the data and see just how much of an advantage it gives.

Hey Adui, you are taking the time and trouble to do all the work, so what ever you decide is fine my me.

I like the idea of noting peep sights were used on the target. Then Terry can see (bad pun) if there is an advantage to using them.
That's a good point, sort of an "experiment" to see if it matters with the participating members.
I've honestly only done 3 of them in all these years so my opinion shouldn't matter for the forum postal shoot.
I was just kind of sharing how it works with our local vous,, while not always strict adherence, most follow the basic nmlra venue guidelines if there is discrepancy.

In our local area there are more then a few Gent's that need adaptive measures to continue shooting with us,, and because we know they like the shooting and comradery of the shoot,, it's not a problem with most folks.
But when there's money on the barrel head, those same Gent's step back and let the young bucks have their day just as they had in their hay-day. It's a courtesy and there is respect for that.
Plying the optics variation for the win,, that's different.
It's your call Audi,, it's your shoot. ;)

Last edited:
Back