• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should they be banned? Poor round ball ballistics - Lack killing power

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention... Who all has chrono'd their .54cal rifle?

Just looking for some comparisons to my load.

Chrony set at 15 feet
Traditions St.Louis Hawken, 28" barrel, .54cal.
.530" round ball
2fg Gearhart - Owen Black Powder.

No swabbing was done and I did 3 shots each.

80gr - 1,474 FPS
90gr - 1,580
100gr - 1,663

Next time, I plan on swabbing between shots, but the largest spread was with 100gr 2f at 24FPS SD. Not not IMO.

Hah, thought you were wandering around the neighborhood with a stirring stick! 😄

My Tc 54 with 28" tc barrel was a bit faster than that with 2f goex. I might still have some of that data but it goes way back. I'll have a look after the wife and I deal with these T-bones. :)

My .54 Frontier with 75gr 3f - .535 ball, .010 minked patch punches the ball out at 1610fps and 1329ft-lb of punching powder.
At 100 yards (+ a bit) that went clean through an 8pt white tail and opened up a blood facet. The big boy made it about 30 yards before he ran out of fluids.
Consider that my barrel is a wee bit longer than yours (39") which would account for a bit more speed.
Taylors index recommends 400 ft-lbs for white tail, which that load combo will stay above all the way out to 170 yards.
That's a bit farther than I am going to attempt using open sights.

Back