• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I rehab an original Remington-Beals or leave it as is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend has what appears to be an original Remington revolver that’s been handed down through his family. It’s in pretty rough shape, but not hopeless. The springs are clearly shot, but it’s not locked up. The loading lever latch is missing, the cylinder pin‘s tip is broken, and one of the grip pieces is gone. He had it sitting on a shelf in his den, and told me to take it and try to fix it if I want.

So, the question is should I? I believe parts can be gotten at S&S and other places. I certainly have the experience and technical know how to do the job. He‘s a wonderful woodworker and wants to make new grips. If it were a messed up repro I’d have already put it back in shape without a thought. Since it’s an original I’m not sure if it’s a good idea or ill advised.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Taking a firearm that's in total disrepair and making it fully functional again isn't a crime and will only increase it's value.

Just bring it back into line with it's current state of decrepitude and no farther.

The crime is when people brake out the 40 grit sandpaper and 6 inch wire wheels to make an old firearm look new again.

Good luck with her.

I've shot primarily original firearms for many years including Colt & Remington revolvers.
Uberti internal parts are your best bet for replacement parts for your Remington.
NOTE; For safety reasons nipples on original percussion firearms should always be replaced.
Treso sellers can provide you with direct replacement nipples for your revolver.

It's very likely the original nipple threads will be frozen & impossible to remove without damage.
I've found that soaking the cylinder & possibly the entire revolver minus the grips in a 50/50 mixture of
acetone & automatic transmission fluid for a day or two usually frees frozen screws & nipples up.

I would suggest that you post good photos of the bore & cylinder chambers so experienced members
on this forum can post their opinions on your revolver's shootability before proceeding with any restoration.

I personally have had good accuracy results on bores that were frosted with strong rifling.
Frosted bores can often be improved with various 3-M abrasives.
Check out forum posts & utube on advice on
how this is done properly.
Relic shooter

Be sure to research what you have. There are rare Remingtons that were in Southern Arsenals at outbreak of the War. They weren't recalled for some type of modification, and thus are automatically Confederate. I have a pal who has one; not sure of course what you have, but be sure it's not one of the Confed.-related ones. Valuable is as valuable does!

Collectors want untouched guns these days, attic condition is what they call it. Dealers don’t like antiques that were messed with. But if your friend keeps it, some careful restoration would be a fun project.
Funny thing about "collectors"; at my age, I've known and/or seen major collectors of military and/or guns, who've died off. Not ONE bothered to pack up and take his 'collection' with him to his final reward! ;)

Funny thing about "collectors"; at my age, I've known and/or seen major collectors of military and/or guns, who've died off. Not ONE bothered to pack up and take his 'collection' with him to his final reward! ;)
Thanks for the reminder S.A., long ago I promised my wife & kids I would dispose of my remaining originals before my bar-code expired.
Just hit 81 so best get them posted, I primarily hunted & competed with original European original firearms that are in excellent shooting condition. Due to age related issues I can no longer shoot my rifles so will post them on this forum first in hopes they find a good new caretaker who will use them regularly as they were intended.
Relic shooter

Back