• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I rebarrel or keep as is

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a good chance I'll end up with an SMR, but a Fowler is my priority. I can't bring myself to sell anything though, my TC Hawken is still sitting around untouched

I started with a 45 went to bigger, then went to a 32 to economize and then the 36. Now I'm liking the 45 again. Point is you wants and needs usually change over the years, You might want to set it aside for another time.

My brother built a 32 cal. Years ago and it’s an absolute tack driver and I mean a supper pleasure to shoot, I have tried to buy it from him a couple of times, it’s a plain schemmle with Iron furniture and no but plate.

Hoyt can put sleeve/liner to .32 or .36 or .40 or even .45 w a fast twist to use less powder.

Theres a good chance I'll end up with an SMR, but a Fowler is my priority. I can't bring myself to sell anything though, my TC Hawken is still sitting around untouched

You want something good for squirrels....,

You don't want the .45 any longer as your new .54 covers all the areas that the .45 once did, plus more...,

Why not have Mr. Hoyt simply bore the .45 out smooth? You'd get small game and birds. Britsmoothie regularly takes birds with a smoothbore .45, though perhaps a bit shorter in barrel than the rifle in question.

So Yes, boring it out to smoothbore will mean a bit more powder than a .36 rifle, BUT it will also mean a lot less powder and shot than if you get a 20 gauge smoothbore, and you will add birds to the game list, while with the .36 your likely cannot hunt birds.

LD

When you say re-barrel to a smaller caliber, I am assuming you will put in a sleeve. Why not sell the barrel you have and use the proceeds for a new barrel. You also save the cost of the sleeve.

Try a few low power loads first. I use my 50 cal rifle for hunting rabbits with a 25 grain load of 2f followed by 20 to 25 grains of malto meal to raise the volume of the load so the ball would not have an air gap at the breech plug. 840 fps and super accurate to 50 meters.

NEW BARREL, Because you will wish you would have. I know I would, Not that there is anything in world with a smooth bore I have two but it was born a Rifle and a rifle it should be.

I like the find a light load idea. For squirrel you will most often be shooting 30-40 yards max. Find a 25-30 yard load that is pretty accurate and see what happens. I wonder how many ever shoot squirrels at a greater distance?

Thanks to everyone for their insight, I will hit the range again this weekend and maybe the woods

Any of you hunters use a wetlube for squirrel hunting? Luckily my 54 likes mink oil, this gun however has struggled with it. but for a gun that should be fired without sitting for hours wetlube doesn't seem like it would be an issue?
(Lehigh Valley and Moose milk both do well)

You could have the 45 relined to a 32 or 36. But I believe you have a good reason to just get another rifle. Why change a perfectly good 45 rifle?

To re line your 45 to a 32 or 36 you are also adding weight and possibly changing the rifle's balance.

Try a few low power loads first. I use my 50 cal rifle for hunting rabbits with a 25 grain load of 2f followed by 20 to 25 grains of malto meal to raise the volume of the load so the ball would not have an air gap at the breech plug. 840 fps and super accurate to 50 meters.
You have to be very careful with this!
At lower velocities round balls can bounce back and or ricochet with lethal force.

Back