• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

should I keep waiting ? or get this used 1847 walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candymancan

32 Cal
Reaction score
So ive been wanting a 1847 walker for a year now. Cabelas never sells them. They only seen to carry the smaller 1851 and 1858 and 1860s. Of all varients.

Local shops never carry black powder but one. And online everything is always out if stock.

I have three options.

A. Keep waiting for a new 1847 walker

B. Buy a Uberti Walker kit. But for 390$ having to case harden and do all that work makes no sense if they are 420$ fully assembled.

C. A local shop that sells my black powder supplies. Has a 1847 walker in the case for sale. Its a really old one. AD date code.. so 1991. I forgot who made it through.

The action works. Cylinder spins. Need a little cleaning and oil. Its a bit rough.. you can tell it was used alot. I havent checked the barrel yet for pitting. But u will. It needs a new wedge as its loose and slides back and forth if i tilt the gun.. this is causing the barrel part to wiggle slightly.

There is a pretty decent gap on the cone to cylinder as well. I guess i need to give the gun a good look over if they will let me take the cylinder and barrel off.

The issue is they want $400 for it. Soo basically the price of a new one.

Well i went in to look at it again.. this time they let me take it apart at least th3 barrel and cylinder.. the barrel has 0 rust very clean.. cylinder looks good. The cylinder ring is good. The gun was sold by EMF made in 1991.. EMF sold ASM guns som assuming this is also an Army San Marco.

The arbor is interesting it has a screw on it. Instead of a pin like the newer ones i have.. no sure if its factory or what. But the lose wedge. They offered to give me a new qedge if i bought it.

So i tried the new wedge they had and its tight now. So i decided to buy it. They also gave me 100 454 balls. And a carry bag for pistols for free.

I brought it out back to their range. And fired it 18 times. Seems pretty accurate like my 1851/1860s. I used heavy loads too nearly 60 grains. No issues. Except i have 5 caps not go off on one cylinder. Due to the hammer getting very sticky. So i gatta clean this gun good.

Im happy !

Midway USA usually has them from time to time. That's where I purchased mine. They run sales on them every once in a while. When my birthday was coming up, they sent me a voucher for a discount on some items in their inventory and one of the items was a Walker so I bought one. :ghostly:

So ive been wanting a 1847 walker for a year now. Cabelas never sells them. They only seen to carry the smaller 1851 and 1858 and 1860s. Of all varients.

Local shops never carry black powder but one. And online everything is always out if stock.

I have three options.

A. Keep waiting for a new 1847 walker

B. Buy a Uberti Walker kit. But for 390$ having to case harden and do all that work makes no sense if they are 420$ fully assembled.

C. A local shop that sells my black powder supplies. Has a 1847 walker in the case for sale. Its a really old one. AD date code.. so 1991. I forgot who made it through.

The action works. Cylinder spins. Need a little cleaning and oil. Its a bit rough.. you can tell it was used alot. I havent checked the barrel yet for pitting. But u will. It needs a new wedge as its loose and slides back and forth if i tilt the gun.. this is causing the barrel part to wiggle slightly.

There is a pretty decent gap on the cone to cylinder as well. I guess i need to give the gun a good look over if they will let me take the cylinder and barrel off.

The issue is they want $400 for it. Soo basically the price of a new one.
They are big, heavy guns. The Dragoons are nice, and a bit smaller. Way too much for a "bit rough".

Anyone know what marking this is ? There is no other proof stanps shoeing who made the gun.. other than EMF which sells them but doesnt make em. Im just assuming its an Arny San Marcos. Because EMF sold their guns. And this walker was made in 91

Oh and here are a couple pics of it.

20220107_192515.jpg
20220107_192610.jpg
20220107_175040.jpg

Yep i noticed that gap was HUGE.. haha noticed it myself.

The interesting thing is when i take the cylinder out and put the barrel back on but not on the pins (to check the arbor length). The barrel lines up with the frame by the pins perfectly. Sooo i dunno why there is so much of a huge gap.

The only thing i can think of doing is filing the arbor and checking.. and possibly filing the frame by the two pins to pull the barrel closer. Ive done this to an 1851 navy brass i had.. the gap was massive ( brand new too) but i filed the arbor and the frame by the two pins and that fixed the gap.

However the wedge on is fully inserted and cant go in further. Soo i dunno if filing will work.

What do you suggest ?

Yep i noticed that gap was HUGE.. haha noticed it myself.

The interesting thing is when i take the cylinder out and put the barrel back on but not on the pins (to check the arbor length). The barrel lines up with the frame by the pins perfectly. Sooo i dunno why there is so much of a huge gap.

The only thing i can think of doing is filing the arbor and checking.. and possibly filing the frame by the two pins to pull the barrel closer. Ive done this to an 1851 navy brass i had.. the gap was massive ( brand new too) but i filed the arbor and the frame by the two pins and that fixed the gap.

However the wedge on is fully inserted and cant go in further. Soo i dunno if filing will work.

What do you suggest ?

I suggest selling it and purchasing a new one from midway or Cimarron or wherever you can find one.

Just my honest suggestion

I'll re-post the pic I found that shows how Colt did the originals. Note the barrel lug to frame location. Drop a thin washer or two down the arbor hole and try to assemble for a true check of the arbor length(or measure with a caliper). Measure the gap and subtract .0015-.0025 for how much to remove. Start metal removal on the barrel lug first. Arbor second. Measure frequently!!!!
Colt navy joint.jpg
Colt navy joint.jpg

Latest posts

Back