• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Should I get a .40?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using your worries and logic one could also talk themself out of a 50 cal if they already have a 45. Or out of a 54 if they have a 50. It goes on……. Not to leave out the redundancy of two guns of the same caliber. Muzzleloaders, like many other things in life, come in a variety of flavors and sizes. If you can afford it, buy what you want. Or don’t and then lament about it for decades if you can keep waking up every day long enough.

Post photographs of your new 40 caliber when it arrives.

LOL !!

I just looked it up a .45 round ball has 600 to 850 ft lbs of energy at a max 1600 fit/sec sec. My .Bp . Ml . 36 double can poke out around 950 ft lbs of energy. Bullet of course

But if you go to a .400 unmentionable with a nitro brass case it’s 4200 ft lbs of energy. At 2125 ft sec Big difference that will take any thick skinned animal on the planet. You don’t need that much power in north America

A .400 270g bullet 110 g of BP maximum
Pressure 11 tons square in With give you a velocity of 1800 ft sec. And 1953 ft lbs of energy. (Gresham Wrights book tables )

perhaps a Nitro 400g Is a bit overgunned at times

but you can down load the amount of Bp to get perfection

of course BP tables are really for unmentionable but guess the same for ML

Just sitting in my rocking chair thinking.

Attachments

• DFB3E74B-19B4-40AC-8E9F-25253F363105.jpeg
    DFB3E74B-19B4-40AC-8E9F-25253F363105.jpeg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 0
  • E61FC8DF-C2AE-40FC-84C1-94974FC81BF9.jpeg
    E61FC8DF-C2AE-40FC-84C1-94974FC81BF9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
The .40 with prb is very mild of recoil, accurate and in some states it is legal for deer. With light loads it's a fine small game rifle. For small game it's not an "improvement" over the .36 but can still stop a deer. Of course the same can be said about the .45. You're a senior citizen so run, don't walk, and get that .40.

The first rifle I made from parts back in the 70's was a Douglas .40. I probably won more matches with that rifle than any other I have owned. It was the only rifle I shot for several years, used it for everything, offhand, squirrel rifle, light bench, primitive and cross sticks. Won my fair share of any matches I shot with it. It was pretty much a smooth bore when I finally retired it.

For accuracy you just have to look at the Gibbs. .41 and .45. Winning most competitions out to 1000 yards with the ..45
Maybe it was the Metford riffling and I guess bullets rather than prb

I think . 45 plus is the way to go , have one in flint long rifle. and unmentionable remember Zulu .if performs well time and time again
400 and smaller is really nitro for me what is the point of a ..400 unless it’s nitro or you are just a squirrel hunter But mostly it’s your choice providing it makes you happy

My percussion .36’double is for bullets it did not occur to me to use s pea size prb. 1:26 For me prb are best in . 45 .500 and .600. The .6
Being my cape rifle for Africa

For the .36 I thing 180g Sierra pistol bullets ate great great
I have a selection of moulds for cast bullets
I bought the . 36 not for its calibre but a lovely rifle it cost £2225 a lot of money but I just had to have it. BP or light nitro. I was thinking of a .5 pedrosoli double rifle at the time , but I chose wisely by spending a little bit more

Just droning on pay no attention
to an old fart of 79 but I have done some shooting in my time including Africa , Well I lived in Nigeria for 3 years. To be honest no animals to shoot at. Ha ha

Photos my ml

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I love my .32 calibre. It’s incredibly accurate. But on those metal targets…I need a spotter to tell if I hit or not. Just doesn’t have the OOMF of a bigger calibre.

I love my .40 calibre
The problem with knock down steel targets is that you need to set them up again which takes up valuable shooting time.
We use a T Post mounted target that hangs from a single bolt that rings like a bell when hit so there is no spotter needed
Check out this video where I'm shooting a 10" square steel target @ 200 yards with a .22 rimfire and a 9mm carbine. Not only can you see the plate move when hit but the sound of the hit is unmistakable Which target system makes the most sense, knock downs or audible?.

I have a Tip Curtis .45 flint rifle with a swamped 38” barrel and sliding wood patch box. Shoots very well with about any powder charge from 25 to 80 grains.
Have wanted a .40 for decades.
I shoot a .433” ball in the .45. A .40 would use a ball around .390”, give or take .005”.
The difference between the two calibers is only around .050” +/- .
Don’t remember about the bullet weight difference.
Maybe that is the more important.
And I like that the .40 uses a little less lead and powder on average than the .45.
Is there enough of a difference to justify a new gun?
Is there enough of a power difference to justify another gun?
I'm in agreeance with the sentiment that you don't " need an excuse " to get a new gun or anything else. If its something you can afford & will enjoy, by all means - get one! Of, whatever it is.
But when it comes down to " what will you gain, if anything " by getting a .40 for roundball shooting, to closet a .45 roundball gun.....all you'll gain really is a little lighter of a barrel, use a little less powder & lead & have a little less recoil. Thats it, not theres anything negative about any of it.
The .40's stage is shooting long high BC conicals or bullets at fast, flat trajectories with less recoil. Thats where a .40 fast twist shines over a .45 arguably ( of course ).

For accuracy you just have to look at the Gibbs. .41 and .45. Winning most competitions out to 1000 yards with the ..45
Maybe it was the Metford riffling and I guess bullets rather than prb

I think . 45 plus is the way to go , have one in flint long rifle. and unmentionable remember Zulu .if performs well time and time again
400 and smaller is really nitro for me what is the point of a ..400 unless it’s nitro or you are just a squirrel hunter But mostly it’s your choice providing it makes you happy

My percussion .36’double is for bullets it did not occur to me to use s pea size prb. 1:26 For me prb are best in . 45 .500 and .600. The .6
Being my cape rifle for Africa

For the .36 I thing 180g Sierra pistol bullets ate great great
I have a selection of moulds for cast bullets
I bought the . 36 not for its calibre but a lovely rifle it cost £2225 a lot of money but I just had to have it. BP or light nitro. I was thinking of a .5 pedrosoli double rifle at the time , but I chose wisely by spending a little bit more

Just droning on pay no attention
to an old fart of 79 but I have done some shooting in my time including Africa , Well I lived in Nigeria for 3 years. To be honest no animals to shoot at. Ha ha

Photos my ml
The Gibbs is my dream gun by far over any other traditional ML. Both the .45 & .40, how I only can wish I'd have been exposed to them when I was much younger & could have afforded to buy both. I'd still be shooting them today, prob more so than any other guns I have.

Don’t remember about the bullet weight difference.
Maybe that is the more important.
And I like that the .40 uses a little less lead and powder on average than the .45.
Is there enough of a difference to justify a new gun?
Is there enough of a power difference to justify another gun?
Reasons that justify another rifle or gun ; check off any or all that apply :

[ ] Getting a [fill in type of rifle or smoothbore ________________ ] would make me happy
[ ] Waiting to get it when I can afford it now, only means it will cost more, later
[ ] It's available now, but may not be available later
[ ] You only live once
[ ] If my similar rifle or smoothbore develops technical problems, this works as a backup
[ ] This will become my main rifle/smoothbore, and what I have now will become my backup
[ ] I've always wanted a [fill in type of rifle or smoothbore _______________ ]
[ ] It's a bargain to me at that price
AND again...,
[ ] Getting a [fill in type of rifle or smoothbore ________________ ] would make me happy

LD

The first rifle I made from parts back in the 70's was a Douglas .40. I probably won more matches with that rifle than any other I have owned. It was the only rifle I shot for several years, used it for everything, offhand, squirrel rifle, light bench, primitive and cross sticks. Won my fair share of any matches I shot with it. It was pretty much a smooth bore when I finally retired it.
For a long time, the .40 was the choice of champions for offhand shooting. But now, 'magnumitis' has bumped that up to .50 cal.

The .40 with prb is very mild of recoil, accurate and in some states it is legal for deer. With light loads it's a fine small game rifle. For small game it's not an "improvement" over the .36 but can still stop a deer. Of course the same can be said about the .45. You're a senior citizen so run, don't walk, and get that .40.
Bless you dear boy you are my God and my mentor love from London

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
My sentiments exactly. Its a delightful caliber, although a little light for deer in my opinion ( although a late uncle took them with a 22 RF ).

I made my Tennessee with interchangeable barrels in .40 and .50. All I have to do is remove the tang and lock screws and pull the wedge keys to upgrade from target to deer rifle.

Hanshi is correct. Its is an accurate caliber. The tiny white thing down range, that disappears, is a an 8 oz. water bottle.

Back