• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I fix this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my only percussion gun is a 1975 Spanish "pre CVA" that I got in '75 for my 12th birthday.
I still use the bore-through hole as a cleanout / dribble hole and have used 1/2 drop of anti seize on it every cleaning since new.
it IS useful occasionally !

If I recall right, that screw is tiny. About a metric equivalent of a #3 US or a metric 2.5 MM. An "easy out" is not going to help. Welding a new head on it will allow you to snap it off very nicely. The slot is toast because it is frozen in there. Drilling it out by hand or in a drill press will not center properly making a big mess.

About he only real plan would be to remove the drum. Please do not use pliers or a pipe wrench. Put he drum in the lathe. Center drill. Go in small at first. Finish with a #31, tap 6-48.

Or just leave it alone. IT is not a clean out. It is a plug. Leave it plugged.

"I would replace the drum, with a new one. Not really a big deal."

CVA drums are machined after installation in the breech plug. They are drilled through the bore from the muzzle. That requires special tooling. Just screwing in a short thread plug leaves a large void in the breech plug area. That void fills with fouling and the gun stops shooting.

Back