• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shots Per Shooting Session?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow! I'm certifiably slower than Snake. 2 to 3 hours is average with, oh, 25 shots average. Often I may go up to 30 or 35 shots or as low as 17. Yes, there have been occasions when I flirted with 50 but not recently for sure. I have a personal defect in that I cannot help but spend too much time looking for brass; that takes time. Normal time is 3 hours + or -. I carry too much stuff to the range but can't help that either.

I try to get to my club's range twice a week and usually shoot muzzleloaders, mostly percussion, at least one of those days. I generally shoot for 1.5 to 2 hours firing roughly 30 shots.

On average how many shots do you fire during whatever your typical shooting session is?

I have fired as many as 96 shots from a .36 Uberti Navy I have that will go that long without cleaning using my home-made grease.
But I usually don’t fire more than about 5 or 6 cylinders full in one session.

If I'm practicing before hunting I shoot about 3 shots per session. I treat the shooting day like a hunt. I set up my gong and I randomly pick a spot to shoot from.
Normally it's in high brush and grass. I concentrate on making the first shot count.
I take the range set the sight and take the shot. Then I quickly but carefully load, move and shoot again. Then load and shoot the third shot.
This practice is all about muscle memory and full gear is used.
In these pictures we are practicing shooting steep down hill shots at long range. We were shooting 150 to 300 yards. On this day we shot more. We were shooting at spots on the rocks across the canyon.

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_203652_522.jpg
    IMG_20190915_203652_522.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190915_203730_524.jpg
    IMG_20190915_203730_524.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 0
Club match once a month is 10 pistol and 10 or 12 rifle. Ten if on paper, twelve if the woods walk. I generally practice on a friends private range (I pay with “sweat equity”) once a month also and that is maybe 10 to 20 or more shots depending on what I brought (bought) that month. I used to bring two guns for my private range day but now it is usually just one. I really don’t like cleaning guns. : (

Those of you paying range fees, what is the usual charge per day/session/hour?

It depends on the heat and the wind for that day. One day recently, I forgot to take water. After 15 shots, I was more than done. There was another more peasant day, I think I shot around 40.

Each range session i usually shoot 20 rounds from a muzzleloader. Always take a .22 rifle along and fire about ten rounds between each five shot group with the muzzleloader.

Dear old Dad was a small bore competitive shooter in late 1940's and early 1950's. He took me to the range with him , and when he would practice , my job was to spot his bullet holes , with his ever present 20 power Lyman spotting scope. To this day , I would never go to a shooting range w/o a spotting scope. I'm amazed so few folks use a spotting scope . I guess I'm the odd guy out. I don't care , but other shooters wanting to frequently shut the range down to fiddle with their targets , while several guys have to stop shooting , is a bit distracting. As long as they warn me not to fire , and that they are going down range , I'm happy.
An incident involving a Pa. State Game Warden scared Dad and Me while Dad was practicing on our home range. Dad had fired a few rounds through his mod. 52 Winchester target rifle off the bench , with 2 lb . trigger pull . While sighting for another shot , the Blame warden stepped in front of the muzzle of the rifle and stood there. Though I was a young child , the sight of that near catastrophe mortified me. Boy did Dad get smokin' mad , Wowww. I didn't see what happening , while looking through the spotting scope until it happened. Blame Warden said he heard shooting , and decided to investigate. Pop and him never got along well after that. It was a time , back when Wardens used to come to all the sportsmen club meetings ,and from then on the Warden sent a deputy to fill in. I think everybody in town knew about what a stupid thing the Warden had done , and he was very embarrassed. Ever since , I've tried to be safe as possible at a range. .............oldwood

You're kidding, right? I know that when you have to go you really have to go, but 15 to 20!!

Ah, you spotted my ahem, spockling mistale, hastily corrected...🥵 The bear analogy was not lost either - we are surprisingly North American in this house...🇨🇦 + 🇨🇮.

That aside and having been dealt with, I mostly shoot a Parker-Hale Whitworth, and as any Whitworth shooter would tell you, there is a LOT more deliberation in the pre-loading preparation, loading, post loading cleaning, shooting [eventually], post-shot clean and starting over... so one shot about every five/ten minutes is quite usual, sometimes, if doughnuts and coffee intervene, even longer. In fact, anything else might well be described as a headlong precipitous and uncaring rush to get that shot off...

Add to that the inevitable discussion along the lines of 'so how does that round bullet come out all hexagonal?' And, more to the point, 'how can you hit anything with that?' and you can see why it takes a while to get a few shots off..........................

It’s usually 15-20 shots for me. I don’t get to the range as much as I should But enjoy it every time!! What I have noticed is when there are people there I’m the only one with a Muzzleloader. I remember years back there always was a few at the range.

For me too, out the period of training for competitions (now I'm nearly 75, and it's finished : it was the last season of my life), I just make 15 to 20 shots. The rest of the time at the range is for cleaning the rifle, talk with friends, drink coffee : shooting must be for the pleasure and not for burning powder just to say "I'm here to burn two hundred pounds of powder and throw away a ton of lead"...
Each guy = one way, this one is mine... ;)

Depends where I'm shooting. If thre are a lot of houses and people nearby, maybe a half dozen shots per session. More if I'm in a more remote area.

Depends on the gun how many shots it takes to scratch my itch. Usually shoot rifle and pistol, 4-5 cylinders full and 10-15 rifle shots. My brother lives only a mile away and we're both retired so he comes up to my range and we shoot together. Kind of like playing together :horseback: when we were kid's but we have real guns now but don't point them at each other :thumb:

Back