• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Shotgun Contest

Here's one for all you smoothbore fans.

Take your favorite traditional smoothbore muzzleloader and load it up with a one-ounce (70 grain measure) load of #6 lead shot. (a 70 grain measure of steel or bismuth shot may be used if required by law)
You may use any other load components you wish (except more shot :nono: ).
The target is a standard 8.5 x 11" sheet of printer paper.
Distance is 20 yards.
Shots are to be taken off-hand.
One shot.
Number of pellet hits on the paper determines the winner.
Shots that are "slugged", where all the pellets remain in a bundle, will be counted as one hole.
Targets that have been mutilated will be disqualified.
All Muzzleloadingforum members are eligible to participate.
Members screen name must be written on their target.
One entry per member.
Multiple targets may be submitted in the same envelope to save postage if more than one member shoots in the same group.
Targets must be postmarked by July 1, 2009 to be eligible.
Targets received after July 10, 2009 will be disqualified.
Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! :hatsoff:

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Sounds like a fun contest. :thumbsup: Will make us work on our patterning. I know my scattergun has a tough time putting 2 pellets in the same county. :hmm: GW

:hmm: good idea....cept.........if ya back it off to..oh say 50 yds..you'll do less countin! :rotf:

bucktales said:
I don't even own any #6. :shocked2:

I chose number 6 shot because, once upon a time, Musketman did a poll. Number 6 was the most commom size that people had. I figgered it'd still be the same.
You can always bust open a CF shell and rob the shot. :grin:

Skychief said:
Love the idea of a shotgun contest! I have a question, though......Will their be 2 classes (cylinder bore and choked)?

Changing the rules after the contest is posted is not fair, so there will be no restriction on which choke to use for this contest, the choice is yours...

Musketman said:
Skychief said:
Love the idea of a shotgun contest! I have a question, though......Will their be 2 classes (cylinder bore and choked)?

Changing the rules after the contest is posted is not fair, so there will be no restriction on which choke to use for this contest, the choice is yours...

Yep. What Musketman said.

Ifin you let me back off the powder to 40 grains
and put 3 ounces of shot I can make a real nice big hole in the paper! :rotf:
I know rules is rules. Us people shooting smoothbores with no chokes aint got a chance!
What the Hey, it ain't nothing but Play!

grzrob said:
Ifin you let me back off the powder to 40 grains
and put 3 ounces of shot I can make a real nice big hole in the paper! :rotf:
I know rules is rules. Us people shooting smoothbores with no chokes aint got a chance!
What the Hey, it ain't nothing but Play!

:hmm: :hmm: :haha: :haha: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If everybody would write their gauge and choke on their target, I will note it on the results. It won't affect the results but might be interesting. :hmm:

grzrob said:
Us people shooting smoothbores with no chokes aint got a chance!

The rules state: You may use any other load components you wish. (except more shot)

There are ways around that, using a heavy paper shot cup to delay the shot column from spreading comes to mind, backing off on the powder will concentrate the shot as well.

Looks like a good excuse to try out my Full choke tube. Got an extra full also, play time ahead.

That's what these contests are good for, excuses for gettin' you out there to try out new stuff and havin' fun. :thumbsup:

I'll take part using my 28 smoothie flinter (original). :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back