• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

shotgun chokes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Morgan

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I want a smoothbore and I have a Pedersoli 20 gauge SxS enroute. It's intended for general steel banging and every great now and then upland bird. I also would enjoy a light, quick, unchoked smoothbore for versatility and SxS for cool. What I'm considering (already) is shortening the barrel to just behind the chokes. Seems shot would load more easily and shoot RB too. Simple mod and I'd have exactly what I want.

I blame Mark and his videos. He's an enabler.

wm (thick skin applied)

I’d like to go the other way, though it might help you too. Can you modify a Pedersoli side by side to take choke tubes, that way you could put in true cylinder in both bores or extra full turkey in both bores or what ever configuration you want.

I’d like to go the other way, though it might help you too. Can you modify a Pedersoli side by side to take choke tubes, that way you could put in true cylinder in both bores or extra full turkey in both bores or what ever configuration you want.

If you go this route you might as well add a fiber optic sight and maybe a camo stock.

It all depends on what blows your skirt up. I like to see how I can do compared to my ancestors. If you want to do something different that's fine by me. The important thing is that we all keep shooting. It's a long story but I got busted for shooting half nekkid. Severe heckling made me put my shirt back on.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
It all depends on what blows your skirt up. I like to see how I can do compared to my ancestors. If you want to do something different that's fine by me. The important thing is that we all keep shooting.
True that. I hunt exclusively on public land and don’t use a vehicle once I set up camp. I like to do old timey stuff like throwing a steak directly on the coals or using a wool blanket, There is a certain something about using a “primative” weapon that really connects one to the Grandfather’s though. I think that’s a big part of why I got the muzzleloader. Is there an 1850s gillie suit?

The chrome plating is very thin in a pedersoli. I jug choked a sxs once and it had no detrimental effect.
My current early Pedersoli sxs has a small degree of choke but clearly has been worked on. Again, to no detrimental effect.

My Ped 20 bore (cyl/mod) LOVES Skychief liad in cyl bore. The mod side not so much. The right side is a killer to 35 yds. The left will get a regular load and be for clise shots. I plan on reaming the choke to cyl. The choked barrel liads wads with minimal difficulty.
The performance of the Skychief load led me to order cyl chokes for my 12 bore(came with tubes) and my performance dramatically improved over the turkey xfull choke that I had been using. Counterintuitive but it works.

True that. I hunt exclusively on public land and don’t use a vehicle once I set up camp. I like to do old timey stuff like throwing a steak directly on the coals or using a wool blanket, There is a certain something about using a “primative” weapon that really connects one to the Grandfather’s though. I think that’s a big part of why I got the muzzleloader. Is there an 1850s gillie suit?

My Ped 20 bore (cyl/mod) LOVES Skychief liad in cyl bore. The mod side not so much. The right side is a killer to 35 yds. The left will get a regular load and be for clise shots. I plan on reaming the choke to cyl. The choked barrel liads wads with minimal difficulty.
The performance of the Skychief load led me to order cyl chokes for my 12 bore(came with tubes) and my performance dramatically improved over the turkey xfull choke that I had been using. Counterintuitive but it works.
You mean the skychief load produces a fuller choke in your cylinder bore than a turkey extra full choke in a 12 bore? That's amazing! I'm going to try it out in my 22 guage cyl bore when I get it finished...I had planned on jug choking it to about modified but I'll hold that idea untiul I try the Skychief load!

Moderator If inline muzzle loading shotguns are not allowed then why are shotgun choked barrels allowed , both are not original when originals were true cylinder so what is traditional and what is not , should the forum heading be changed ? just asking
Feltwad

I wouldn't wast my time putting full chokes in it if you are going to be shooting steel shot, which is what a chrome-lined barrel is made for. Reason being, the steel shot, will shoot out the full choke. It's just too much constriction and the steel carves its way through with repeated use. That's why you never see shotguns that are designed to shoot steel shot with full chokes nor do they come with full choke tubes for screw-in chokes. A modified choke is the tightest constriction you will see or will survive even in chrome lined barrels when using steel shot. I sold shotguns for the Orvis Company and also did the custom gun fittings. Whatever you decide on, you will need to do patterning tests at various ranges so you really know how far out your SxS will effectively reach.

Doc, if you use leather wads you cut yourself for the over powder wads and overshot wads you will not have a problem loading the the Left barrel on your SXS. I use a 16 mm wad punch I had a machinist turn down the handle on, then chucked into a cheap drill press and it works wonders. 16 mm is perfect for the true 19 ga bores of the Pedersoli 20's. I have three of them. 2 counters and one caplock. I have no issues with the left bores of either of them.

I wouldn't wast my time putting full chokes in it if you are going to be shooting steel shot, which is what a chrome-lined barrel is made for. Reason being, the steel shot, will shoot out the full choke. It's just too much constriction and the steel carves its way through with repeated use. That's why you never see shotguns that are designed to shoot steel shot with full chokes nor do they come with full choke tubes for screw-in chokes. A modified choke is the tightest constriction you will see or will survive even in chrome lined barrels when using steel shot. I sold shotguns for the Orvis Company and also did the custom gun fittings. Whatever you decide on, you will need to do patterning tests at various ranges so you really know how far out your SxS will effectively reach.
The chrome plating is not to facilitate the use of steel shot.
It is to protect from corrosion.

Moderator If inline muzzle loading shotguns are not allowed then why are shotgun choked barrels allowed , both are not original when originals were true cylinder so what is traditional and what is not , should the forum heading be changed ? just asking
Feltwad
This issue has been discussed before.
Choked barrels have been found on smoothbore guns that were made prior to the forums 1865 cuttoff date. No, they weren't common. In fact, they are quite rare but they did exist.

In-line guns are styled after modern weapons that weren't made until after the 1865 date. There are also other reasons the Muzzleloading Forum has banned talk about them. That's all I'm going to say on the issue so please don't try to start a discussion about this.

You can open up chrome lined chokes. Look to Briley, Pitchford Custom Gun Works, Colonial in SC to name a few.
I hope you are right, but everything I have read or been told is that people that donbarrel work will not ream chromed bores or chokes because the hard chrome trashes heir reamers.
I have wanted a double 20 gauge with cylinder bores for years to have jug choked for shooting patched balls and shot; the jug choke being better for balls since there is no constriction, and boh barrels would be the same ID at the muzzle.

Back