• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotcups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok but I still need the right nipple for # 11 caps
Your CVA should have come with a #11 nipple. What brand of caps are you using?

A #10 cap is smaller than the #11 cap. If you have a #10 nipple, the #11 cap will be loose. Yes, Track of the Wolf will help you get the correct nipple for your gun.

If the #11 caps require two hammer falls to fire, then the nipple is slightly over size. Go to your hardware store and buy a nut that fits your nipple. Most hardware stores have try boards with threaded test positions. The CVA nipple should require 6x1.00 threads. Thread the nipple into the nut and insert that in your electric drill. You don't want the tight chuck to damage the threads of the nipple. Set your drill to reverse. Using a small file, run that along the cone of the nipple to reduce the diameter of the cone. Keep the same angle of the cone. Go slowly. You will only need to take a small amount off the cone and the #11 cap will be an easy fit to the nipple.

Yes the 11 caps were a bit loose after a gunsmith turned them a little. At first was a 2 fire shot. That's why he turned it. Cci a s the brand

Your CVA should have come with a #11 nipple. What brand of caps are you using?

A #10 cap is smaller than the #11 cap. If you have a #10 nipple, the #11 cap will be loose. Yes, Track of the Wolf will help you get the correct nipple for your gun.

If the #11 caps require two hammer falls to fire, then the nipple is slightly over size. Go to your hardware store and buy a nut that fits your nipple. Most hardware stores have try boards with threaded test positions. The CVA nipple should require 6x1.00 threads. Thread the nipple into the nut and insert that in your electric drill. You don't want the tight chuck to damage the threads of the nipple. Set your drill to reverse. Using a small file, run that along the cone of the nipple to reduce the diameter of the cone. Keep the same angle of the cone. Go slowly. You will only need to take a small amount off the cone and the #11 cap will be an easy fit to the nipple.
Will give it a try here inhe next few days

I shot about ten rounds out of my Bess last week using plastic shot cups. I put three thin cards over the powder, then cup and two cards over the cup. I didn’t find any evidence of plastic being melted. I retrieved the shot cups and they look like they could be shot again. One time I was using TOW over the powder in a Mortimer shotgun using cups. Using tow I did get strings of plastic residue on a cleaning patch. With the cards I do not.

Ok but I still need the right nipple for # 11 caps
An electric drill and a small file will make your nipple fit the cap better. Put the thread portion of the nipple in the drill and run it, take the file to the nipple seat try seat a cap every little bit taken off when cap sits fully done.

Nope,

Here is a chart. NOW you need to double check by actually weighing what the measure "throws", (about five times and take an average) as it has also been found that different makes of BP powder measures while all set on the same amount, may throw different amounts of powder. Also the size of the shot may throw off the weight, AND if you use steel shot for waterfowl, it's completely different as steel is much lighter...

Powder Measure used for Shot

50 grains = ¾ ounce

60 grains = ⅞ ounce

70 grains = 1 ounce

80 grains = 1⅛ ounce

90 grains = 1¼ ounce

100 grains = 1⅜ ounce

110 grains = 1½ ounce

120 grains = 1⅝ ounce

I think I got this ⬆ from @Brokennock . Works well for me, but what I did was to pattern my trade guns and my carbine. When I got the shot pattern right, I simply used that. Later I got this chart and it showed I'm using 1½ ounces of shot, with an 80 grain load of 3Fg (since I put my measure on 110 to measure shot). I weighed the shot and it was so close to that figure that I found the chart to be accurate for me.

LD
Nice Chart!!!!

Latest posts

Back