• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shot some steel with the .58 CVA today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I tried some 440 gr LEE R.E.A.L bullets they shot pretty well, impact was lower than the .562 PRB but I expected that. Man did it put a smack down on the steel lol 85 grains of volume of my homemade black powder same as my PRB load. Pleased so far with it.

Attachments

• 20220206_121518.jpg
    20220206_121518.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 79
Nice shooting, @Ballshooter ! It is my understanding that these rifles are made with a "round ball" twist and groove depth, with the bore slightly under the nominal size. I have a rifle like that, and the bore measures .575". It's good to know the R.E.A.L. Bullet works so well.

Nice. I dearly would like a 58 hawken like that

I don't think it's a Hawken. It looks like a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle.

These give a lot of gun, for the money.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

nice rifle. I have a couple .58 rifles, one is a hawken flintlock, the other is an underhammer. I always loved the CVA mountain rifle. I have a 1974 kit with the USA marked barrel and the maple wood stock in .45, still sealed in the cellophane. I used to have an H&R springfield stalker in .58. I miss that rifle.

Yes, it's a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle. I was kinda shocked that the lee bullet worked so well could it be that the bore on these are undersized that it helped?
It could be that the CVA bore is undersized. The LEE REAL bullets are designed to properly engrave on the rifling when the driving bands are the same diameter as the groove diameter of the barrel. If the REAL bullet's driving bands are smaller than the groove diameter you get gas cutting around the bullet with subsequent loss of target accuracy. That's one reason why we need to have precise measuring devices to know what size bullet is compatible with our rifles.

nice rifle. I have a couple .58 rifles, one is a hawken flintlock, the other is an underhammer. I always loved the CVA mountain rifle. I have a 1974 kit with the USA marked barrel and the maple wood stock in .45, still sealed in the cellophane. I used to have an H&R springfield stalker in .58. I miss that rifle.
Oh man I would love to have that 45!

Oh man I would love to have that 45!
the problem with the .45 CVA mountain rifle kit with USA barrel and maple stock is that it is a catch 22. The kit is worth more money sealed than the assembled rifle. Admittedly a factory maple stock and USA marked barrel in a long discontinued model with the kind of lineage the CVA Mountain rifle has might bring a pretty penny for its rarity. I suspect you are like me and want it for it's legendary accuracy. In early testing the .45 outshoots the .50 simply because the ball is lighter and doesn't begin to drop as fast as the .490 ball.

I met Ken Kammerer before I even knew what a CVA mountain rifle was. ( the maker of the first CVA mountain rifle ). He did show me a few of his own rifles he made. we were at his place for welding related reasons. He had a welding shop near Kendallville IN.

I tried some 440 gr LEE R.E.A.L bullets they shot pretty well, impact was lower than the .562 PRB but I expected that. Man did it put a smack down on the steel lol....,

Yes, well going up to 440 grains from 266 grain round ball will do that! 😀

LD

the problem with the .45 CVA mountain rifle kit with USA barrel and maple stock is that it is a catch 22. The kit is worth more money sealed than the assembled rifle. Admittedly a factory maple stock and USA marked barrel in a long discontinued model with the kind of lineage the CVA Mountain rifle has might bring a pretty penny for its rarity. I suspect you are like me and want it for it's legendary accuracy. In early testing the .45 outshoots the .50 simply because the ball is lighter and doesn't begin to drop as fast as the .490 ball.

I met Ken Kammerer before I even knew what a CVA mountain rifle was. ( the maker of the first CVA mountain rifle ). He did show me a few of his own rifles he made. we were at his place for welding related reasons. He had a welding shop near Kendallville IN.

A safe queen is a useless gun really.

Best get that kit put together really well and use it. There will be much more satisfaction with it by using it for numerous hunting trips.

As for investments, buy land. :thumb:

Glad for your success with the REAL 440 slugs I tried them in mine and was doing well just keeping them in a 3' group, tried charges from 60 to 180 gr ffg with no luck and since it loves prb's so well I've quit trying for anything else.

Back