• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shot snake spout attachment?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k.jacobfrost

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have this spout for a shot snake I would like to use, but I can't quite figure out how it's supposed to be attached. Any advice on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.
20220908_220103.jpg

The piece with the slots goes INSIDE the neck of the shot snake. Then the other piece fits over that.
I installed one recently myself. I chose to use some epoxy to make the inner ring fit the leather neck. I used the slots to pinch in any loose leather. I used a hose clamp to pull the leather against the inner ring while the epoxy set.

After that I dry fitted the outer ring to be sure it would fit properly. I also wanted to index the head so it hung the way I thought looked best. Then I actually used epoxy to bond the outer ring onto the leather.

Normally I see these attached by drilling a hole from the outer through to the inner ring ring - then tapping the hole. Connect the two with a brass screw. I was a bit lazy and just let the epoxy hold things together. It’s working fine so far.

If it ever needs to be removed, a heat gun will loosen the epoxy and it can all be disassembled.

YMMV I am no gunsmith and not a skilled tinkerer. This was just my solution to the situation you are presently in yourself.

Back