• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shot snake or flask or?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was wondering what you smoothbore shooters use to carry and measure your shot. I've looked at the Irish and English shot snakes and flasks, and they see to be limited to only two charges 1 1/4 and 1 1/2. They also seem a bit expensive so, what are you guys using if you don't use a snake or flask?

YOu can make a leather bag in a bottle neck shape, with a wooden stopper to hold your shot, if you want to go cheap. They are authentic, and work particularly well in the field. Keep the bag small so you don't walk with a limp. Make your own powder and shot measure for a fixed amount, when you decide on a load. Many shooters still use the same volume of shot as they use to throw a given measure of powder, so one homemade measure, made from antler, or wood, or horn, does the job. Just use a scale to check your weights so you know what you are actually shooting.

I have the Irish snake, two of them, as I bouht one from TOTW years ago, and put it on an elkskin shot bag I made. The bag is too big, and carries way too much shot, but no one says I have to fill it, do they? I may cut it down some day and resew it, but for now I just keep about a half pound of shot for the field. I found that the scoop in the measure is not a reliable indicator of the amount of shot thrown. I am currently using an original powder, shot adjustable scoop in which I pour the shot and then add more to bring it up to a truer figure before loading the gun. When I am satisfied with the patterns I am getting, I intend to make a fixed shot measure, and use that. The scoop works to open the gate on the Irish measure, so I can pour the shot out of the snake, but my bag with an open mouth and a stopper will be easier, and probably a little faster to use in the field. I don't know if I will be able to throw the same volume of powder and shot, yet. So, I may still use my adjustable measure for measuring the powder charge, and the separate, fixed measure for the shot. Tuning in a smoothbore takes a lot of time at the pattern boards.

I use an Irish style flask. It has settings for 1oz, 1 1/8oz, and 1 1/4oz. You can find them on some of the auction sites and e-bay sometimes for not too much.

I've been looking too. Haven't made my mind. Right now I use small glass bottles with a plastic stopper. They hold about 75gr FFF so with one full of powder and one full of shot and the proper wads it makes a good balanced load. I carry them in a carpenters apron that has 4 pockets. That way it's all in one place.powder, shot,wads, and overshot cards. Carry the capper around my neck. Good to go now just need the birds.
Fox :thumbsup:

For speed loads for my double when bird hunting i used empty .12 ga hulls. I used black ones for powder and red or green for shot. Used a cork for a stopper to hold it in. I take some mono fishing line and tie a knot in one end and run it up through the bottom and out the top of the cork with a long needle. Then i use a piece of black plastic electrical tape to go around the barss of the case and hold the line at that end with another knot in the end to keep it from pulling back through the tape. Just flip the cork out and pour and youdon't loose the cork.

I use the Irish shot snake and mine has several settings from 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz.

After playing with several methods I settled on the Irish snake.

REgardless of which kind you buy, remember to take the gate fixture apart every couple of years, give it a good cleaning and polish, and then lightly oil the moving parts pivots, so that it continues to work properly. Mine seems to build up crud, dust, and lead dust particles that make things stick that should move freely.

With a leather pouch, and a wood stopper, there is nothing to move, or to oil. You might want to wash the leather bag every once in awhile and then oil it with neatsfoot oil to help preserve it. Depending on use, about every 2-5 years ought to be frequent enough for that. Put the lead shot form the bag in a jar, and throw the bag into the washing machine with other things, and let it rip, or, if you must, you can hand wash it with something like woolite. Either way, you will extend the working life of the leather many years if you take care of it.

Although it is not as traditional as a shot snake or flask, I sell a container call the Pellet Packer. Check the web site on my profile. If you are interested, send me an email and include your forum member name and I'll offer a special price to members.

Just make sure to use Oak Tanned leather so that when it drys it'll hold it's shape. :v

I often use the Irish shot snake, but here are some other options. Most of these have copper tubing flared on both ends and a rasped wooden plug to act as a stopper. I split the plug part and insert a wedge to regulate the tightness.

ShotHolders.jpg

I also like the cartridge box which permits me to pre-roll components for quick loading options in the field. This pic shows my small and unfinished box.

CS

Back