• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shot size for turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
My plan for turkey hunting is to call them in close and shoot for the head with #6 shot. I've never tried a body shot on purpose. I did wind up taking one when a tom flushed before I could get lined up on his head, and I did kill him with #6.

In Kentucky #4 shot is the largest allowed for turkeys. That's #4 birdshot, not #4 buckshot. I've notices that some posters mention using larger shot for turkey. Is that because you are taking body shots? Does anyone do that routinely?

Spence

Head shots?

Spence
Head shots are the only kind to take in my opinion. As a kid was taught a turkey load and it’s max range was determined by it’s ability to put multiple pellets through the bottom of a Campbell’s Soup can (maybe 2” diameter). Didn’t have fancy splatter targets or pattern boards. We took a lot of turkeys with our soup can loads.

Agree with SDSmlf a duplex load of #4 and #6 is very efficient. 6 will fill the pattern at 20 to 30 yards and 4 will carry it further out.

My plan for turkey hunting is to call them in close and shoot for the head with #6 shot. I've never tried a body shot on purpose. I did wind up taking one when a tom flushed before I could get lined up on his head, and I did kill him with #6.

In Kentucky #4 shot is the largest allowed for turkeys. That's #4 birdshot, not #4 buckshot. I've notices that some posters mention using larger shot for turkey. Is that because you are taking body shots? Does anyone do that routinely?

Spence
I'm confused. You've taken turkeys.
Or do I remember wrongly?

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/TwoToms.html

I think it depends on what your gun likes.
My dad had a 36" full choke 12 ga. We patterned it using feed sacks (a country thing). #7 1/2 and #8s shot the best patterns at 40 plus yards. #4s and #2s didn't pattern as well. Dad killed Turkey with #7 1/2, head shots only.

My 12ga 26" IC likes #6, i've killed many turkeys with it, again head shots.

I have killed several Turkey with 20 ga #3 buck, doing body shots. I took 3 birds (w/ 3 shots) this way. Each had more than 1 pellet strike.

I try to aim at the middle of the neck on a Turkey with #6. I only try body shots with big shot or a rifle.

Good luck.

Your confusion has confused me. Yes, I've killed a lot of turkeys, all but one with head shots and #6. Where's your confusion?

Spence
Sorry.
Something about the way your o.p. was phrased had me reading it like you were asking about your plan as if you had never implemented it before.

Admittedly my head isn't in the right place lately (worse than usual)

I shot a few Turkeys with my Pedersoli 10 gauge (really 11 gauge) and used #4's and 6's equal amounts. I always use a shot cup. You can find my work ups here on the forum. The Star loadings did not work when testing and it would be unethical trying to take a 20# bird that has a suit of armor as feathers. I also kept my shots under 30 yards. There is a huge difference between a black powder shotgun as compared to a 12 gauge using smokeless shotgun shells.

As to the headshot, I read an article some years ago that suggested aiming for mid-neck, which has been successful for me ever since. The reasoning is that if you aim at the head, roughly half of your pattern would go over the head. Aiming for mid-neck gives you the chance to keep most of the pattern from the head to where the neck joins the body.....all vulnerable areas. Just my two cents!

I have never killed a turkey with a muzzleloader so I can't really say, but think that larger shot sizes in a muzzleloader would be to compensate for the relatively lower shot velocities. I will take my muzzleloader turkey hunting next year and plan to use #5 as some of the previous posters have mentioned. With the unmentionable weapons, 7 1/2 would probably do great in a magnum load, but why when you can reach out to 50 yards with less recoil and a better pattern with a similar shot charge of #6. One thing to consider with shotguns as far as where to aim is the POI of the pattern. Some shotguns are set up to have more shot above the point of aim than below. This is what I found of my Pedersoli when I patterned it. The POI is about 70/30 on my gun, which makes a big difference in where I would aim at a turkey. I'm not sure if this was intended by Pedersoli. I would expect a shotgun built for the field to have a 50/50 POI, but it should work great for quail presentations that I will be mostly using this gun for.

Something about the way your o.p. was phrased had me reading it like you were asking about your plan as if you had never implemented it before.
I thought that might be the case. My bad, I should have made my question more straightforward. I always aim for the head, but wanted to know if anyone routinely aimed for the body. So far, no one has said they do that.

Spence

Shooting them with the front stuffer, even when targeting the head and neck, every now and then a flyer pellet or two hits down in the breast. It makes a mess with blood and feather bits through the wound channel. I can't imagine trying to clean up a body shot bird. The head and neck is not a particularly tough target but pattern density is the key, I concur with the smaller shot size. And I use where the head and neck join as the point of hold. That red head just on top of the barrel makes for a good and visable target. Just my 2 cents.

First turkey I shot at was with unmentionable grampas 12GA single shot. I do shoot weird per middle in neck. I seem to shoot low. I hit this bird at 25 yds square in the body and "rolled" him (blew him 10 yds back). Watched him fly off. Didn't seem to slow him though he may have died, I always used #4 in 12GA loads.

With black powder I have used #6 and head shots and down they went. No shots over 25 yds, two at 8!

Been hunting Fri-Sunday. Too old to get up again and thankfully 45 MPH winds so I use that as excuse. Go back Weds-Thurs. BLEW IT Friday per choice of sitting behind a tree I couldn't see over. Called BIG bird into 15 yds but he came to my left and as I shoot left handed he saw me pivot when he came from behind the tree I waited for him to go behind to do the pivot and he set a new ground speed record for turkey. Kick in the Arse, woulda been done at 5:50 AM opening morning!! Really stupid set up but was trying to solo record a video and my spot seemed flawless. He was coming straight as an arrow for 100 yds and veered left and came up a road, I saw him as he started the stomp his feet thing at the decoys. Should have remained a rock and he probably would have walked right by me!

Nope, old dogs learn fer sure.

Latest posts

Back