• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot size, and type.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What type and size are most smoothbore shooters hunting small game with, except waterfowl. I assume lead, no.5 Or 6 shot ? What about ducks and geese, can bismuth be used safely, and/ or Steel?

I'm new to the use of shot in muzzle loaders.

Thanks for your response.

Blaze

6 shot is probably the safe answer. I have found the 7 1/2 shot works fine on upland game inside of 25 yards. But I do like to have 6's in the second barrel. That doesn't mean that 5's won't work, but I would want 1 1/4 ounce of shot with it, which would kick more (my upland gun is under 6 lbs unloaded so it's friendlier with light loads).

Bismuth works fine, steel is something I would avoid. I mostly use lead mix of #4 and # 6 shot for turkey cuz someone gave me a two liter bottle of it for free, have-not lost one yet. I use #8 for trap.
Robby

I use #5 lead for squirrels and rabbits, #7 for ruffed grouse and woodcock.
I have good luck with #2 bismuth for Canada geese and ducks with fairly heavy loads. With geese you'll want them feet down and cupped wings for best results.
I purchase all my shot through rotometals, best deal I've found on bismuth and lead is comparable to others.
I'm shooting a 20 gauge fusil. Skychief's loads are your friend!

I use copper coated 7.5s for work over my pointing dog. When I run out I will switch to #6s just because I found 25# of them. My game is quail and pheasant with those. On turkey I use #5 with a few BBs sprinkled in. For waterfowl small geese and smaller I use #5 Bismuth.

With Lead shot #6 and #5 work great for squirrel and rabbit and turkey. Yes bismuth mixed with tin is perfectly safe for all muzzleloaders. I use #4 and #2 shot for waterfowl. I make my own but you can buy it commercially from Roto Metals, Zip Metals and Ballistic Products. I use a variant of the Sky Chief Load. PM if you have questions.

I use #5 for turkeys, pheasants, and squirrels, only adjusting powder charge and volume of shot depending on game. If I think partridge and or woodcock might be in play I'll drop to #6 just because they don't seem to need as much energy to drop and I'm not a great wingshooter with a flintlock so need the extra shot in the pattern.

Haven't played with non-toxic shot in a muzzleloader yet. Plenty if topics about it here if you play with the search function a bit.

Thank you all for your recommendations! All are pretty consistent in your opinions, and what my thoughts are as well.
The clarification on use of bismuth, and recommendations to stay away from steel is extremely beneficial.
Thank you all once again and Merry Christmas!

If you have chrome bores and intend to eat the birds/squirrel/rabbit shoot steel shot with
moderate loads. You avoid ingesting lead shot and splinters by cleaning-up with a magnet.
You can clear game meat from lead with a cheap metal detector as well. The old stand-by is
wash in pail of salt water and you can feel the shot and pop it out--it sinks to bottom of pail
or sink. Sometimes you have a bunch of ducks or turkey.These are just some ideas that work.

I have always used salt water when cleaning small game, and generally let it soak overnight unless it get eaten right away. If not, it get frozen until used at later date.
Not real sure about lined barrel, but believe barrel is lined with harder metal to prevent shot such as steel from damaging barrel wall.
Most muzzleloading firearms are NOT lined, as far as I know.

I am sure he means chrome lining Brit like with the Pedersoli SXS shot guns?
As to steel shot it will not wear a barrel out but it will score one pretty bad if using steel shot without steel shot type protective shot cups. Even then you will get pin holing sometimes. Steel shot really does not belong in muzzleloaders due to the low density and high vellocity required to kill effectively with it. Can it be done, yes but the results are marginal at best due to most muzzle loading shotguns lower vellocity, i.e. under 1200 FPS.

If you have chrome bores and intend to eat the birds/squirrel/rabbit shoot steel shot with
moderate loads. You avoid ingesting lead shot and splinters by cleaning-up with a magnet.
You can clear game meat from lead with a cheap metal detector as well. The old stand-by is
wash in pail of salt water and you can feel the shot and pop it out--it sinks to bottom of pail
or sink. Sometimes you have a bunch of ducks or turkey.These are just some ideas that work.
"and intend to eat the birds/squirrel/rabbit," Am I the only one raised, with the idea of of, "of you aren't going to eat it, and it isn't going to eat you if you don't kill it,,,,, don't kill it,"??
Why else would you shoot the bird, squirrel, or rabbit?

The risk of having issues from lead shot being ingested in game meat is greatly overblown. Mostly by states like California, and people who buy into their propaganda. How much shot is one really going to ingest from a few meals of small game? Unless one is an idiot and doesn't even try to pick it out?
Oh, and I am not trying to downplay lead poisoning,,,,, I had lead levels high enough that the state official who contacted my doctor about it (mandatory reporting) was surprised I am alive to talk to him when the doctor offered,,,, no,,, it was not from ingesting lead shot.

Back