• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot my first flinter today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well the temperatures reached a balmy 39 degrees today so I decided to take out my Pedersoli Frontier 54. This was my first time shooting a rocklock, I shot it 9 times with no issues with ignition.

First, here's my gun and the conditions...
Frontier54010_zps639e94a3.jpg

Frontier54011_zps6b45eac3.jpg

Next, my targets. First one is 3 shots at 25yds./ 60gr. 3f. Round 1 off to left, 2 & 3 nearly same hole.
Frontier54013_zps1f0d547c.jpg

Lastly, target shot at 50 & 75 yards / 70gr. 3f. 3 shots at the top right were at 50, 2 at bottom right were at 75. Loner upper left was me at 75 trying to adjust the sight picture to bring it up. Gonna need to file them sights.
Frontier54012_zpsbb5b7ec3.jpg

Looks like you need to file down your front sight to move your point of impact up.

Yep, the sights are untouched from the factory. Gonna have to file down the front and file it narrower as I go down. After getting that accomplished I'll drift either sight to move it to the left. Ultimately I'll get it to shoot point of aim at 75 yards.

I beliieve you need to work on shrinking your group before you file your sights to the point that you want to leave them. I am not saying don't file at all but leave some room for adjustment until you settle on the best group to shoot. Also that is agreat looking rifle..............watch yer top knot..............

don't file anything until you have a good group. Since you are shooting a .54 I would try some 2f powder as well

Way to go Willy. I concur, that is a fine looking gun/instrument. I too am just getting my feet wet with shooting flintlocks and am a little hesitant to start filing sights just yet. I'm gonna shoot mine for awhile and hopefully get things settled down a bit before I break out the file. By the way, beautiful area you're in there.

Jeff

Unless you have a better way of holding your rifle steady, you haven't learned anything. The gun must be secure and exactly the same each time you fire it. Otherwise, you are just showing your shooting ability not the guns. :hmm:
Get a better bench rest before you touch anything. :thumbsup:

I will definitely shoot more shots and tighten them groups up. But I will need to start filing next time I go out as I know from just the shots that I took it needs to go up dramatically.

The group at 25yds was a 6 o'clock hold on a 3" bull. Shot to the left was first one fired on a clean bore and a little anticipation of the click boom lag. Next 2 shots were nice and tight.

Then I went to 75 yds. Fired 2 shots at a 6 o'clock hold on a 5" bull. They are the bottom right pair in pic 2. Tried a modified sight picture by holding the front sight above the rear sight notch. Not very precise resulting in the shot at 9 o'clock. Otherwise was looking to throw a 3"-4" group at 75yds.

Lastly, I moved the target back to 50yds. and shot three more resulting in a 3" group exactly where I anticipated.

Not great shooting but satisfactory for the conditions and to know what needs to start happening.I will continue to develop a load/loads for accuracy but will need to get that front sight filed down and narrower so that the sight picture can be more precise. All in all I was quite pleased with the initial accuracy and performance of my first flinter.

i think you're doing great, so far ... i would recommend, however, that you get a better bench - something rock solid. then, get the rifle to throw a really good pattern, then when your load is 'dialed in,' you can tinker with the sight to get point-of-aim to point-of-impact.

see if you can get a copy of Dutch Schoultz' paper - this will save you a boatload of time and aggravation ... his website is
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

(should we tell him about the highly habit forming nature of rockbanging?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shhhh. Habit-forming? Nothing around here is habit forming. :rotf: Just keep doing it, and things will naturally progress as they should. And if he notices himself picking up rocks, and slowing down a bit, and eating more wild game, well, what's the harm?

Go slowly with your file and move your groups up slowly. You don't want to overshoot your desired POI.

i would also try increasing your powder load some. 70 grains is on the small end for a 54 cal. for my 50 cal rifle 70 grains of 3f is my short range load, for longer ranges and hunting i use 90 grains.

not saying 70 grains wont work, just that you should try some heavier charges aswell.

-matt

My first flinter was my Pedersoli Blue Ridge in .45. The front sight has a taper to it. The more you file, the wider it gets. I switched the front sight to a silver blade from Track of the Wolf: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/6/FS-TC-HB-TH . It stays the same thickness, no matter how much you file it. It also gives me a better sight picture than the factory sight. Just some thing to think about :v

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for the first time out with a new gun you did really goood. As for the bench...it sure beats not going out shooting.
I'd like to know how you like the flint over percussion?
David

Thanks for the link, I'm seriously considering going that route. Does that sight fit properly in the Pedersoli dovetail?

Jury is still out, although I like that look and style of the lock on a flinter far more. I've barely shot the gun at this point, so far I can tell a definite difference in the ignition speed compared to my caplock. I can sense the click, and then bang.

Back