• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

shot my 54 today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
54 GROUP 2.jpg

I went hunting yesterday evening with my 54 southern rifle from TVM, matt avance told me he built this gun about 20 years ago. I sat in a light rain and saw nothing but turkeys. my buddy killed a doe right at dark. so this morning I shot my rifle to clear the load that had been in a week. I shot this 3 shot group offhand at 50 yds. Hornaday .535 RB with .18 ticking, 75gr. of goex ol eynsford and lubed with 5 to 1 mineral oil and alcohol. this gun is a tack driver. it always amazes me how accurate it is. the gun has a 38in rice barrel round bottom rifling and a Bob roller lock. I bought this gun from a member here. I am glad he got tired of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well done olskool and off hand yet! Keep going after that big buck if your season is still running. Is your patch lube 5 parts mineral oil and 1 part alcohol?

View attachment 51432
I went hunting yesterday evening with my 54 southern rifle from TVM, matt avance told me he built this gun about 20 years ago. I sat in a light rain and saw nothing but turkeys. my buddy killed a doe right at dark. so this morning I shot my rifle to clear the load that had been in a week. I shot this 3 shot group offhand at 50 yds. Hornaday .535 RB with .18 ticking, 75gr. of goex ol eynsford and lubed with 5 to 1 mineral oil and alcohol. this gun is a tack driver. it always amazes me how accurate it is. the gun has a 38in rice barrel round bottom rifling and a Bob roller lock. I bought this gun from a member here. I am glad he got tired of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hard to complain about groups like that.
Neil

That is cool! I ordered a Southern .54 from TVM back in June. couple more months to go? How is the recoil?

yep that is 1 part oil and 5 parts alcohol. I kind of made the lube up on my own then I found out it has been used for years. this is the best lube I have ever tied, and I have tried most of them. I can shoot at least 20 times with no swabbing and the last ball slides down like the first. as far a recoil, with 75gr. of 2F it aint nuttin to it. on a southern gun just remember to put it in the arm crotch not up on the shoulder, and turn slightly sideways. as far as the shooting I am glad my wife was standing there to witness it or I could have got some funny looks! :rolleyes:

View attachment 51432
wow, great shooting :thumb:

The shooting is very impressive. What I want to know is what kind of wood it that? That stock is absolutely gorgeous 😍 !!!!!

View attachment 51432

Actually, if that's as good as it will shoot you might as well go ahead and send it to me for disposal. :ghostly:

View attachment 51432
Don't sell yourself short, if I shot that same gun, same conditions, I would be lucky/happy to keep 'em in a 6" circle. Love that gun though. Polecat

Back