• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shot loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronMan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently started walking for health reasons(Doc says to git off may a$$ and lose some weight ::) I live in the country and we have a few packs of wild/ownerless dogs running around. They range in size from small to medium sized and are sometimes quite aggressive. I have been considering carrying my .45 Philly derringer for defense aginst these critters and am wondering if I can come up with a shot type load? Anybody have any ideas?

IronMan

I'm just sitting here with various thoughts about your situation going thru my head. They may be dumb, but, their mine. ::
Depending on the leader of the pack, feral dogs can be worse than most other animals because they generally do not fear man.

There is always a leader of the pack. Taking him/her out will usually stop a attack.

Dogs can't read human minds, but they are very good at reading human actions and attitudes.
On more than one occasion, I have stopped large agressive dogs in their tracks by instantly taking on a KILL thought and attitude, concentrating only on the dog, to the exclusion of all other things around me. I really don't know, but I wouldn't be suprised to find the hair stood up on the back of my neck. That kind of attitude, nothing less will do.
The several times this happened, the dog stopped with his back hair still up. He looked at me while I glared at him. He slowly took a rearward sideways step and then moved away keeping his eyes on mine. I slowly backed up a half step and then proceeded on my way but not taking my eyes off of him until he turned away. These were large dogs...60-90 pound size. (This is not BS. I sware it is true.)

If all I had was a Philadelphia derringer for defence, I think I would see what else I could find that has more than one shot.

A load of 20 grains topped with a wonder wad, a .45 ACP case worth of #4 shot and a wonder wad over the top might do something to change a dogs mind. It couldn't stay loaded this way for long periods of time because the oils in the lower wad would contaminate the powder.

I doubt that that load would kill a dog unless he was less than 4 feet away when I shot it.

I sure wouldn't want to blind a dog by shooting him with a shot load that wouldn't kill him.

A .45 cal ball would do a number on him with a solid hit, but with the accuracy of a .45 derringer, I doubt that I could hit him.

If I wanted to use my derringer, it would be on a instantanious basis so it should be capped.
Half cock notches are far from safe.
I would hate to have the dam thing in my pocket and have it fire and blow 1/2 oz of #4 shot into my bleep because the half cock failed.

I would think the muzzle flash and noise of a .45 would scare the manure out of a dog if it was at close range. It would me if it was aimed my direction.

I think I might load a gun like that with 35 grains of powder topped with a wad of tightly rolled newspaper. That wouldn't wound a dog, but I would think it would cause the dog and its pack to rapidly change their mind if they were attacking me.

Another nice thing about the derringer noisemaker, If it misses, it won't hurt some bystander I was unaware of.

I think I would carry a nice 1 inch in diameter X 18-20 inch long nightstick sort of thing to back up my noisemaker.

I think with that set up and the ability to develop the attitude I mentioned above, I would feel safe.

Just dumb rambling. Sorry if it didn't answer your question.

I hike once a week. I carry a Ruger Vaquero in .44mag..first two chambers shot, next 4 hydrashocks...my dog and I are in bear country, but I'd pack the same load if I were worried about feral dogs....if i didn't have the Vaquero, I'd pack the same loads in my Ruger Old Army.
Like you, I don't want to wound, and I hate the thought of shooting any dog, but when push comes to shove, shove wins..Hank

Zonie, you're absolutely right about the "eye contact". In dog's language, looking away is a submissive/subordinate gesture. Maintaining eye contact is a "I'm bigger, meaner, more dominate, and will eat you for lunch if provoked" gesture.
Eye contact while running like he!! the other way is a definate exception! ::

Now "Grass Hopper" you can scare off danger with only
your mind. "WOW" and I won't ever need a weapon ?
Thats right my son.
Lesson one in "Urban Wilderness survival skills".

Redwing :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

I have been faced with the same problem several times, but my choices were slightly diferent. Slightly more modern/higher firepower. Too each his own.

you will not carry the darrenger long. It's not built for comfortable carry in modern clothes. They were designed with the pockets of a great-coat in mind. Pockets were much larger back then!

In this case I would still aproach it in a slightly diferent manner. If there are legal issues go to a good outdoor supplier and buy one of the new high tech hiking poles. They are snazzy telescoping things with a spike at the end. Good dog medicine!

One of the local snow birds carries a broken golf club!

I carry a walking stick that is chock full of suprises!

Just because you're parinoid dosen't mean there's no one out to get you!

:front:

Zonie's right about having an attitude toward the dog. I used to get around alot, used to be a telephone installer, whenever I encountered an aggressive dog, I'd look it in the eye and think "go ahead, I haven't killed anything yet today" and I could go about my business. Some of the guys I worked with always had trouble, I never did.
Rich G

Thanks for the replys. The more I thought about it after I posted the more I decided the derrenger was not a good idea. As to the attitude thing,I have always had the attitude that "I'm bigger and badder than you know matter how big you are."

I took on a German Shepered that attacked me,back when I was young and dumb,and broke its neck. Now I am much older and suffer from back problems so that is not an option I want to undertake.

I walk with a 5' wood staff and am profficent in its use but would rather not let an animal get that close.

Guess I'll just carry the Ruger 9mm.

Thanks for the answers guys.

IronMan

2 years ago i was walking on a farm edge.near a house on the next property.i was allowed on the property i was on.but a tall boy on the house property was peaking through the bushes all the time i was on the farm when i got neer the house but i was still on the farm he sicked 3 big dogs on me and they were mean.....thought i was dog food for shure...how do you keep eye contact or stare down 3 dogs????went through ther again the other day same boy watching me ..but this time i had a holstered revolver on my hip..i think he would have done it again if i didnt have my pistol... :results:

I grew up in a bad neighborhood populated by Rottweilers, Dobies and pit bulls - with owners who would sic them on you if you got to close to the fence. I didn't own a bike so walked everywhere I went before learning to drive. Other than a gun, the BEST thing I ever found was a 5-6' walking stick. Cops won't bother you and dogs don't want to fight. An overhead full smack like pounding a stake with a sledge will either kill them or send them running. Hit the leader if more than one and they'll scatter.

I did poke one with a knife once but it was because the owner sic'd him on me and I had nothing else. The guy thought I was going to run but I stood my ground and stuck his Dobie, which started squealing and ran back into the yard. I took off running so I wouldn't get shot at... :curse: I have always liked and owned dogs so it goes against my grain to hurt one.

The eye contact thing and proper attitude are absolutely correct. They can sense that you will pound them if given the chance. I believe that is why so many kids are hurt by dogs, they typically don't have the attitude or either run and fall down.

We have the same issue in our neighborhood when we walk our dogs. More times than I care to remember we encountered loose/stray dogs and of course our dogs would do their job and protect us. After the second encounter I now carry a stout hiking staff with a laynard. Usually one push on the stray does the trick, if not a stout crack on the head discourages them without killing them. Now I just need to train our dogs from going into the "protect mommy and daddy" mode!

My hiking partner and I carry hiking sticks that he made out of "replacement" broom handles...cheap, good straight grain wood, just about 5' high...a spike on the end would be very do-able...Hank

I have recently started walking for health reasons(Doc says to git off may a$$ and lose some weight ) I live in the country and we have a few packs of wild/ownerless dogs running around.

If they are ownerless dogs in unpopulated areas then they are going to be hard on the native wildlife. I personally wouldn't have any qualms about killing them under those circumstances. I think the 9mm will be a much better choice under your circumstances.

Thanks for the replys gentlmen. I have decided on the 9mm AND a hikeing staff. Covering all bases

Thanks again
IronMan

I know that this post may bring some wrath but we had a feral dog problem here in southern Massachusetts when I was a kid. People would think that the good farmer would take care of the poor puppy if it was abandoned on some back road. Well, these animals turned feral and started to roam in packs.

My friends and I were surrounded one day while hunting. Needless to say the shotgun took care of the situation. Later, I spoke to a farm worker who said he shot eight of them with his 22-250 rifle.

If you are having such a problem, I think that some people need to get together and thin them out. They are no good and will sooner or later attack a poor child, possibly killing that child.

I know that this post may bring some wrath

Responsible pet owners shouldn't feel any wrath toward your suggestion. I love dogs, but when there left to roam in packs and fend for themselves they become a threat to people and the local wildlife. IMO your solution is the humane one for everyone involved.

I don't know about the area where you are, but here in Central PA there is an increasing number of rabies cases, and if such is the case in your area, then feral dogs present a major hazard that has to be eliminated.

Years ago, when I lived on Cape Cod, this situation also existed. In the winter, you would sometimes see small packs of starving dogs roaming about. I used to carry a Pocket Navy just in case. I only used it twice, but was very glad to have it.

:says:Now I need to train my dogs from going into the "protect Mommy and Daddy mode". :imo:That's what the dogs are there for. Don't get me wrong I love my dogs, I have an 80 pound half Lab/Pit cross that sleeps on the bed betwen my wife and I every night. But still I consider the dog as a defencive measure to protect my wife and I. :results: :front:

Yes the 9mm is a better idea, but this sounds like me as a good REASON (!!!!!) to get bigger calibre BP pistol! Navy Remington? '62 Police?? !!

I run and bike, (for some reason dogs like to chase the bike the most) and when doing that I carry a small light pistol, but also some pepper spray. I will spray a dog first, give them that chance.

I only have to deal with tame dogs, I would not hesitate to shoot a wild dog. Indeed that's just a small child waiting to get attacked.

Rat

Thanks Rat.
Until I get my GPP I'll carry the 9. You keep me advised on the loads you use in yours so I'll know how hot I can load mine when I get it :thumbsup:

IronMan

Back