• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

shot in a .54 hawken barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't work very well due to the rifling. The rifling causes the shot to spiral so you'll get a less than an adequate pattern.

I’ve used #6 shot it in a .50 caliber TC Hawken. It patterns ok to about 5, maybe 7 yards. After that not good at all. It’s ok for very close range plinking but not hunting.

I have shot clay targets with my 32” GM 1:70 twist .54. Guess they didn’t know the pattern was manure and neither did I as never did pattern it.
Girlfriend shot grouse with a 1:48 twist .50 last fall. Worked ok.
I wouldn’t say they are optimal however.
Walk

I don't do much spring turkey hunting. Here in CO we can use ML's or Rimfire rifles for turkey in the fall season. I am thinking about taking my .32 out this fall after gobblers.

I put the shot in a brown bag material long "cup" and fill it loosely. Tie the other end with a short piece of yarn. Make it so you can squeeze the shot around in the "bag" and get it to go into the muzzle pretty easily. Use a felt wad on bottom and on top but don't compress real hard. It is kind of like a bean-bag of paper. I heard of this from someone and tried it and it seemed to work. The idea is that the bag is following the rifling but the shot is not real tight and is able to move slightly forward and back with the discharge. Since the shot is not really spinning with the rifling the pattern doesn't "spiral" out as much. Also, the over - powder wad allegedly will keep the paper bag in-tact for the trip down the tube. I only fired a few rounds and checked pattern with about 3/4 ounce of #6 shot. The pattern was good at 15-yards. I quit messing with this idea because I was uneasy about accidentally leaving space between one of the components and causing a barrel bulge or other damage. With careful planning and consistency I will try it again someday soon. If you want to give this a whirl, use an abundance of common sense and don't get crazy with the amount of powder. I am considering trying light felt for the "bag" or "cup".

just for ghit's and shiggles i'll try it. looking for a sxs percussion. after 60 years of shooting i find muzzle- loading is relaxing whereas the other tires me out. i wan't to try duck and goose hunting this fall with a front stuffer. if i am still above the grass.

Read your post and replies,, Noble. Don't hurt to ask,, but Nope, shot in a rifled barrel don't work well anymore today than it did 200yrs ago no matter how many try.
But you could give it another go,, That way you can say you tried.
Then you can tell'm all you've got 61 years experience shooting, and it'll be your turn to answer the question.

Read your post and replies,, Noble. Don't hurt to ask,, but Nope, shot in a rifled barrel don't work well anymore today than it did 200yrs ago no matter how many try.
But you could give it another go,, That way you can say you tried.
Then you can tell'm all you've got 61 years experience shooting, and it'll be your turn to answer the question.
thank you

If you have a TC 1" barrel you might be able to find a 56cal renegade smoothbore barrel, and/or GM made some 62/20 ga drop-in barrels too.

A company called Toledo also made 12ga drop-in barrels for TC in 15/16 and 1". I've got one they came with a pretty tight choke.

Back