• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shot in .54cal. Harper's Ferry Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be trying shot and buck in mine soon and will report back. I have a sharps carbine that i use cardboard Hahns tubes to make cartridges for the carbine. I discovered that these tubes fit in my Pedersoli 54 cal percussion pistols barrel. So i used them to make shot cartridges for the pistol. I fill the 1” tube with #7 shot and use a gluestick and hair curler paper ti seal both ends. Pour your powder down the barrel and seat the tube on top.

Attachments

• 57ACF62F-4556-4A72-8CF8-162C62B2E341.jpeg
    57ACF62F-4556-4A72-8CF8-162C62B2E341.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 24
Mine is smoothbore. I did try powder, paper wad, birdshot, and a paper wad atop of that. Shot it at 7yards and liked the pattern.

I'm kinda late to the party, but I tried birdshot between two felt wads in my Harper's Ferry pistol. 5 yards was adequate for small game, 10 yards was iffy. More experimentation coming. Those tubes look interesting, how did they work out?

I have one of these , and I wondered how a paper cartridge with a .490 ball and 3 00 Buck pellets would work .

A load of birdshot or buckshot would basically turn it into a short 28 gauge shotgun

I enjoy shooting my French Dragoon .62 cal flintlock pistol with #7 shot. It’s very effective at 15 to 20 yards, and maybe more. It does have a 15.5” barrel, which helps.

I am still working on my skeet form, though...

Smoothbores are fun and versatile!

Last edited:
Back