• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shot Goex for first time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't realize that Griz I ordered straight from Eastern Maine they offer patches in 100 count 500 count and 1000 count and were pretty reasonable.

View attachment 8825 View attachment 8824
Well I got out and did some work with the 32 Cherokee. Came up with this load 15 grains Goex .315 Hornady swaged ball .015 cotton patch from the Eastern Maine muzzle loader supply and Hoppes BP lube. Sighted in at 30 yards since this will hopefully be a squirrel gun this fall. Shot off bench with backpack as rest. 3 shot group. The pic with my finger in it is to show target size

Well yer on the way, you keep working on load development and you will eventually tighten up those three shot groups. LOL

LOL that's the best three shot group I have shot with anything. I am ready for the wet and windy weather to clear out so that I can get back on the range and do some off hand shooting now that I have her shooting tight off of the bench.

On the subject of powder does anyone have any experience with this stuff ? Found a source that has some and is getting out of the powder business. I can get it for $12 bucks per lb. Write ups sound good. It's supposed to be non corrosive also. https://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/blackmz.aspx

I checked that link. Personally, I simply do not believe the "non corrosive" claim.:eek: I won't risk ruination of my guns and hate to think that others might ruin theirs based on some ad writers fantasy.

I visited with my friend today and we went through a ton of old muzzle loading stuff came home with 5 lbs of powder 9 new nipples for cherokee or Seneca and lots of little odds and ends. Plus 75 lbs of pure lead cast into half pound, full pound and 5 lb ingots. I insisted on paying him although he wouldn't take much for it because he said most of it will probably end up being thrown away or recycled. The powder was Goex Cartridge which is about 1F granulation, Dupont Superfine which is exact same granulation as 2F , Goex 2F, Goex 4F and a can of Elephant 4f. Had a great time visiting with him and he enjoyed talking about shooting. He convinced me that I should be casting my own balls so now I am looking for a pot and a .315 ball mold to get started. He had several hundred pounds of lead but said I wanted the pure lead for casting balls. What a great old guy we are going to get together again before he sells his home to move in with family and I am going to help him do some packing, sorting and lifting.

Last edited:
B95D7ECA-1A0F-40C7-BE2F-6941889FD99F.jpeg

The old Dupont can is probably collectable by itself and the Goex can may be too. What a great guy to share things.

For casting, if you want to get started cheap, get an old coleman stove or a hot plate, a steel sauce pan and a small ladle or table spoon to use to pour the lead. Buy a Lee mold and have at it. That is how I started. I bent the handle on the spoon vertical so was easier to dip and not spill. That is not the best setup, but will bet you casting without much expense. You can find the stuff needed except the mold at thrift shops or garage sales. Replace it as you go along. Don't forget a face shield or safety glasses and a good pair of leather winter gloves or welding glove. Wear longs sleeves and pants and enclosed leather shoes. Make sure clothing is cotton or wool and not man made fiber.

Yeah definitely hang on to the cans. I take powder from the new plastic jugs and transfer it to my cans for transport and use at the range. It always turns a few heads when you grab the older metal cans to re-fill the horn.

FA90156D-CD21-44A6-9F84-A83274221500.jpeg.
I am down with pneumonia and can’t do anything in my shop thought I would post a picture of some of the lead that I got to cast before I got sick. This is all plumbers lead and very soft I am really excited about finding a ball mold when I get well and casting some of my own leaf balls 73 pounds should last for a while I kept a couple of the molded blocks with writing on them just because they were kind of cool

View attachment 9540.
I am down with pneumonia and can’t do anything in my shop thought I would post a picture of some of the lead that I got to cast before I got sick. This is all plumbers lead and very soft I am really excited about finding a ball mold when I get well and casting some of my own leaf balls 73 pounds should last for a while I kept a couple of the molded blocks with writing on them just because they were kind of cool
Being sick is never a good time.

Latest posts

Back