• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Charger Spring Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally found a replacement spring for my Irish shot charger. (Dixie Gun Works for the win).

Now the problem is - how in the H3!! do you get the spring installed? Has anyone tackled this issue?

The spring: $4.95
A new shot head: $75
A new shot pouch: over $150

I’d rather install the new spring.

Yes but not an ex Dixie one but its probably Italion .generally they fit into the pressed resessed grouve & one small rivet at the tail end there will be a small slit to allow this at least on the Italion ones with the rediculous level bag (way better ditched in favour of a Y shape one that then sits charger down by your side ) . the rivet hole should be visible. If non of that makes sense (I cant see your flask )Study it & if all else fails take it to your nearest' Menz Shed' old boys know stuff' like Hanshi says.
Rudyard

I finally found a replacement spring for my Irish shot charger. (Dixie Gun Works for the win).

Now the problem is - how in the H3!! do you get the spring installed? Has anyone tackled this issue?

The spring: $4.95
A new shot head: $75
A new shot pouch: over $150

I’d rather install the new spring.
Some photographs would help folks understand your issue.

Yes pictures might help.
35CAA804-7A72-4A21-82BC-4CAAE56C7874.jpeg

16FA98AD-FF91-4C3A-83CD-AAF86809E40D.jpeg

I know the spring has to be oriented like this. There is no way to bend it sufficiently to hook it in place. The only option I see is to unsolder the piece - insert the spring - then solder it back together.
I have done plenty of soldering with electronics but I have not used silver solder. I just don’t know how big of a mess I’m getting into.
Will there be enough heat to worry about taking the temper out of the spring? Any advice is appreciated.

OK remove the spring pass it though the square hole in the rim then thread the spring into the slotted grouve as you show then when the small pointy bit reaches the drilled hole put the charger onto some round steel stock held in a vise so it cant move & thusly supporting the rivet peen it over & 'Robert is as close relation' (Bobs your uncle ) its fixed . Trusting this helps.
Regards Rudyard
Member of our village' Menz Shed'

Back