• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two different shot spouts and would like to make a bag and snake. I'm not sure the best way to attach leather to the spout. I'm guessing a wood ring but wanted to get suggestions.
16427889925985009513734217759401.jpg

Attachments

• 16427890261094049176387612583959.jpg
    16427890261094049176387612583959.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 16427890889051072141805764499642.jpg
    16427890889051072141805764499642.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks I will give that a try . I was thinking about doing that .Then I though it looked like on the inside o the spout was made to have some type of insert it has a screw there to connect it. I'm probably over thinking it. Thanks again
Trinity

I like those.really nice work.

I made the two on top. One is Toot’s and one is mine. Mine has held up well, and I think Toot is still using his. The bottom just may be an original; I have no proof. It came in a lot of antiques I purchased. I studied it when I needed one. Thank you!

MANY years ago when I made mine, I found a separate original spout, that probably came from a damaged shot pouch/snake and someone just removed the unserviceable leather.

The first thing I did was WET the leather that went around the bottom of the spout and made a couple of small wood jaws so as to clamp the leather tight as possible around the spout. After the leather dried and before I removed the jaws and clamp, I used my awl to piece the holes for the saddle stitching that went down the side of the spout. I used a separate thread for going around the leather on the bottom of the spout that also went in and out of the saddle stitched holes. Unfortunately, I overestimated how much room I needed for the shot.

The first time I wore it at the Nationals at Friendship, IN; Max Vickery spotted it and remarked, "Honey, that is THE most splendiferous Shot Snake I've ever seen! You can carry a week's worth of shot in it!" He must have noticed all the weight caused my shoulders to slump. 😆

After that, I stitched much of the oversized portion shot pouch on it closed, so it became manageable to walk more than 100 yards with it. :D

Gus

Thank you JL…

The thick leather can be a pita too turn…

But the ones made with thinner leather don’t stand up well..

Latest posts

Back