• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shortening Front Heavy Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have had this older custom .45 PA style rifle for sale for awhile. The problem with finding a buyer has been short (12") LOP and heavy 42" barrel. Today I came to the Arkansas Muzzleloading Rifle Association shoot in Berryville. Showed it to the fine folks from The Muzzleloader Shop and they took it to their shop and delivered back to me a handy carbine length (28" barrel) Rifle with new crown and front sight installed. Much lighter and balances well. I still need to cut stock and fit nosecap, but I think this will be attractive for a youth shooter or diminutive woman's gun.
20220923_173150.jpg
20220923_173220.jpg
20220923_173311.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a beautiful custom fullstock percussion rifle for a great price online. Arrived, it had a 15/16 inch 42 in long barrel with a .45 bore! Talk about heavy! I keep thinking about shortening it, but I have lighter guns and can't bring myself to do it. Might one day make it 36 inches, would still look OK but less of a beast to handle. Lesson learned - always ask about barrel width if not stated in ad.

Even swamped barrels can be heavy if the caliber doesn't match the profile. I gave away my last straight barreled rifled because it was heavy for me.

I sent the lock to The Log Cabin Shop for some work. Once back, the short rifle will be back up for sale. Just in time for Christmas. ;-)

Back