• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shorten, crown

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I wanted someone to shorten a Hawken barrel, and re crown it, and mill a slot for front sight who would you all recommend? At 75, the gun is a tad front heavy for this old man. thanks for any and all suggestions.

For the sake of convenience, you might check with Track of the Wolf. They do machine work on barrels they sell, don't know if they'd work on a barrel from outside.

i had track shorten and re breach a finished barrel, had to send a statement that i was ok with the fact that the finish might be damaged. i know it had to get chucked up in a lathe . said ok. minimal marks on an un perfect barrel. all was well. they do nice work.

Thank you, I will message them. I actually believe this anonymous, unmarked gun, based on close inspection, originally came to be as a kit from TOTW. Stock design, elegant cheek piece, lock, set trigger, etc, all match with pictures of the top quality kits they used to offer. It is a beautiful gun, just need to make it fit me. Perhaps they can identify it when I send pictures to them.

Depending on the gun there might be a carbine version available. Lots of TCs for example.

this has a 32 inch barrel...want to cut it back to 27 inch
1640109337099.jpeg

Shame they didn't bother to get back to you. I have a Great Plains that has helped win quite a few medals but, like you, I find it too heavy these days. I will probably do the job my self some time in the Spring when it gets warmer.

I hear you. I have an early Ford 8n in my shop that needs some work but it is too darn cold up here right now. Most of my projects are on hold, but I have some oak to work up for next years wood, so all good as long as I keep busy. Here's to Spring!

I could weigh the barrel and calculate the weight of 8 inches easily enough, but I am thinking of how much I would use it in its present weight. I have a TC Renegade for range work. Or I may just put it up for sale because it is a beautiful rifle. Thank you for your interest.

That barrel will weigh about .175# per inch so by cutting 8" you would reduce the weight by about 1.4#. that would make the total barrel weight about 4.75#

Another thing to consider would be to have it bored out to a 54 or even 58 caliber. boring it to a 54 would reduce the barrel weight to about 5.8# boring it to a 58 would reduce it to about 5.4#

I’d think that a fine rifle like that shouldn’t be chopped but sold. Then buy a rifle that better suits your needs. You can handle rifles till you find one with a weight and balance more suitable. Boreing it to a larger calibre is an option if you like or need more power. A larger bore not only makes it lighter but moves the balance point back a bit.

you both have given me something to think about. I appreciate the responses. And you are both correct in your opinions. I am not going to jump into shortening it right away, Boring it out is a distinct possibility. Thank you.

I would agree with selling intact. That wood is beautiful and shortening it would ruin the look. I have a Lyman Deerstalker in 50 and 54. It's lighter to carry and points well. You might want to get your hands on one and see if it's to your liking. It's longer than 24 in but handles beautifully. You will be giving up a little in quality but saving some machine work.

Back