• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceHuxford

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just thought that I would tell how I got my first ml. I came across a beat up old rifle at a flea market of all places, I talked to the man about it and he said it was found in his attic, not knowing much about it. After a short chat, I paid him a 100 dollars for it. I assumed it to be a reproduction, but wanted it shootable, so I took it to a gunsmith friend who specializes in antique firearms to work on it. Well, I got a very excited call from him and hot footed to his shop. There he explained to me as to what I had, a genuine Hawken rifle from the late 1830's. He did make it shoot able without injury it's value. I regret ever selling that rifle.

I just thought that I would tell how I got my first ml. I came across a beat up old rifle at a flea market of all places, I talked to the man about it and he said it was found in his attic, not knowing much about it. After a short chat, I paid him a 100 dollars for it. I assumed it to be a reproduction, but wanted it shootable, so I took it to a gunsmith friend who specializes in antique firearms to work on it. Well, I got a very excited call from him and hot footed to his shop. There he explained to me as to what I had, a genuine Hawken rifle from the late 1830's. He did make it shoot able without injury it's value. I regret ever selling that rifle.
I'm sure you do! Who did you sell it to and would they sell it to me? ;)

I wish I had taken pictures of it. I came into the 21st century, kicking and screaming. I never thought of taking out the camera and taking pictures of it

According to my friend at the time, it was worth about 6000 in it's present condition. I only used it once a month for target shooting. Suckered was pretty accurate too

Don't kick yourself too hard. Been there done that.
When I was about 15 my dad took me to see a friend of his from work. Her husband had passed and she had heard I was interested in guns. She let me have the pick of his collection. $5.00 each. I still remember walking down into the basement and seeing bed sheets laid out over the whole floor. Rows and rows of rifles and pistols laid out on the sheets. The walls were lined with sabers, katanas and such. I walked away with a few, which I later sold at a garage sale. That was 48 years ago and I still can't get the memory out of my head. The whole basement floor covered in guns........

Sounds like a cousin of mine. He collects Colts, if Colt made it, he wanted it. I might feel a little regret for selling all my guns, but not for the reason I did it, She's a great cook and the reason why I'm in Massachusetts

Latest posts

Back