• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need someone to make me a short starter, with a reasonably flat top so I can give it a wack with the side of my fist, I would make it myself but I don't have any tools...Duane

No to both questions,I am in Canada there is no hobby lobby up here...
Canada is a big place. It was a couple years back, but remember going into a hardware store maybe called Canadian Tire or something like that. They had a lot of neat DIY type stuff. Reason I originally mentioned Hobby Lobby is they have items like round wooden balls with holes drilled in them.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Wood-Crafting/Unfinished-Wood/Round-Wood-Balls/p/23256. If you can find a hobby place or hardware store with a similar item all you need is a piece of wooden dowel and something to cut the dowel to length (pocket knife for example) and a little bit of wood glue and you have yourself a short starter. Only tool required is some type of knife.

Last edited:
Thank You I shall do that.I am in Alberta
I have been to Alberta among other Canadian locations and did not find it backwards in any way, though my bride would describe it as quaint. Can not imagine you not finding what you need locally or if necessary by internet/mail. But I have only visited Canada and may have a distorted view.

Can you buy wood doweling around you?
This short starter is a copy of one in the museum of the fur trade, and can whittle out of a dowel in about an hour 3/4 inch, 20 mm
9000B84A-AAD9-41CD-BBDE-2249E29C3FE3.jpeg

Alternately, the rear end of a full tang (patch ?) knife can accept a short piece of brass rod, butted against the rear of the tang

(maybe not the best for pounding, though)

Nz8KZ1Xm.jpg

Check my classified ads, under simonbeans. (They are listed on Page one Under HC Ball (Short) Starter). I make what you want and they appear to have some historical providence. I have made dozens and have sold them via this forum. So far buyers seem pleased.

I don't think they would know what it's for, besides, you could have it made in pieces and assemble it up there. Just a few pieces of wood and maybe some brass.
I dunno about shipping anything firearms related from the US past Canadian Customs.

Back