• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

short starter for shotguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54 Cal.
Reaction score
We do some trap shooting with dbl bbl percussion guns...12 ga. One of our gang made us each a range rod...dowel of appropiate size, a "craft shop" wooden ball for a handle...works great...another of the guys came up with a short starter version....the dowel is about 8" long. It really helps getting the various wads seated correctly, so they can be driven down by the range rod. I don't know if this is a new idea, or that I just haven't seen it before, but I thought I'd pass it on. Too, I don't care if the old tymers wouldn't have done this...not even interested in what they'd have done...Hank

Hank, I also made a range rod for my .12ga Navy Arms double...used a leftover 3/8" X 34" "super-rod" I had laying around, cut the ends off, epoxied a wooden ball on one end and epoxied a .12ga shotgun button-jag on the other end...even carried it with me into a couple dove fields last year...works great

Roundball, try making the short starter, too...really helps i nloading..Hank

I too just use a 5/8" dowel rod for the 12ga. and a 1/2" rod for the 20ga. I also use them dove hunting. I am afraid that the little whippy original rod may get broke in all the excitement! I did stain and tung oil the rods for appearance sake.

I use the plunger part of a wooden hand held wine bottle corker for my .75 caliber short starter, works like a charm...

Treen_Bottle_Corker_G1539.jpg

Gosh, Musketman...down here, our wine comes with screw-off caps...you get corks in yours? We maybe could use corks instead of cobs in our jugs...a great idea...Hank

Back