• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife would like a muzzleloading rifle that shoots round ball and fires with caps. A .45 caliber would be ideal.

She's of small stature and has a damaged left shoulder -- she shoots off the right side -- so she needs something a bit less nose-heavy than a traditional Kentucky.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, to be honest. I believe TC made something like this at one point, but I'm not sure.

Regards,

Josh

Have a look at the Pedersoli website , they have several guns that might be suitable .

The old CVA or Jukar Kentucky has a 33" barrel.
Find one, cut 3-4 or even 5" off the front of the barrel, then drill a few holes in the butt behind the plate and add some lead.
The result is a better balance yet a slightly weighty rifle in 45 that has little to no kick.

I have Traditions Tennessee. The rifle is 40 3/8 inches long.Point of balance is 22 inches. It weighs 5 7/8 Pounds. The distance from the shoulder stock to the first trigger is 13 1/2 inches,and 14 1/4 inches to the forward trigger.The barrel is about 24 inches. It is fairly accurate,3 inches off a rest at 50 yards with a .490 round ball and a patch.These were the first 3 rounds out of the gun. It has a 1:32" twist. I am going to try a Lee REAL bullet in it soon. A right handy little gun.

I'm not sure they make it any more because I haven't checked the Pedersoli site. But the carbine version of their Frontier Rifle meets your criteria nicely. I have one, and while the full rifle with its 39" barrel tips the scales at a listed 7#, I bet my 24" carbine doesn't top 6# by much if at all.

I'd go so far as recommending the 50 caliber rather than the 45, just so there's a little less steel out front for easier aiming and handling. You can hold down the powder charges and reduce recoil to that of a 45 while still having enough oomph for hunting if that's what she wants.

If not made any more, it would still be worth tracking down a used version of the carbine. It's the favorite for both my wife and our granddaughter.

a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine would fill the bill nicely. it's nice & light and the short 21 inch barrel is rifled 1 in 60 for roundballs and it has a recoil pad for shoulder comfort. it is 50 cal but as ya know, it can be loaded to any level she'd be comfortable with.

Maybe a 50 cal. T/C New Englander with the 22 inch barrel. Buttplate makes it shoot real nice :)

A bobcat with a fake :redface: (sorry) stock is super light weight. Its either .36 or .50. .50 can shoot very well with 50 gr powder and little recoil. Not much knowledge here on .45 but others have good suggestions i See

I've seen women, at the state championship, shooting the TC Seneca, in 36 cal. but I believe they made the Seneca and Cherokee in 45 cal., also.

I have both in 32 and 36, and both are great little rifles.

I have two TC Senecas in 45 cal. While they are fine rifles I would certainly not recommend them for your intended use, parts are virtually non-exsistant.

I also just purchased a Pedersoli Cub in 45 cal. Mine is flint but they are made in cap also. The dimensions are nearly identical to the Seneca. Parts are readily available and best of all accuracy is very good (clover leaf 3 shots at 50 yards). You will probably pay less for the new Pedersoli than you will for a used Seneca in questionable condition. Good luck in your quest.

Something I've tinkered with is a wood stocked Traditions Deerhunter (used and inexpensive of course) with an added octagonal to round barrel. It is very reliable and very light.

I have a couple of TC Senecas and my wife used one to take her first antlered buck this year. Although she can handle a Hawken style rifle just fine she prefers the light weight of the Seneca and in .45 it makes a fine weapon for deer sized game! Greg. :)

Back