• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Short Guys & Long Barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand this topic/question, and it has come up before, here and on other forums. Did I miss some rule that says the gun must be plumb ventricle to load properly?

I'm right handed and wear my bag and horn on the right. When loading the heel of the gun is on the ground slightly behind my left foot. Bag contents and horn can be accessed with my right hand and the gun can be trapped against my body with the left arm when I need both hands. After I pour my powder I do move the gun to vertical and give it a few slaps or thumps to settle the powder to the bottom, but I don't think this is really necessary, it has just become habit. Then I proceed with the rest of the load with the gun positioned as before. If the gun is longer I may have to put the heel further behind me to get the muzzle at the same height.
This also puts the gun angled downrange and away from me. It also keeps the more fragile toe part of the stock off the ground.

Maybe I missed something?

I don't understand this topic/question, and it has come up before, here and on other forums. Did I miss some rule that says the gun must be plumb ventricle to load properly?

I'm right handed and wear my bag and horn on the right. When loading the heel of the gun is on the ground slightly behind my left foot. Bag contents and horn can be accessed with my right hand and the gun can be trapped against my body with the left arm when I need both hands. After I pour my powder I do move the gun to vertical and give it a few slaps or thumps to settle the powder to the bottom, but I don't think this is really necessary, it has just become habit. Then I proceed with the rest of the load with the gun positioned as before. If the gun is longer I may have to put the heel further behind me to get the muzzle at the same height.
This also puts the gun angled downrange and away from me. It also keeps the more fragile toe part of the stock off the ground.

Maybe I missed something?

VENTRICLE??? Methinks you've worked too many double shifts in the ICU...😂

My Early Lancaster has a 42" barrel and the muzzle hits me right about where my cookie-duster starts. So I have to learn it some to load it comfortably.

I guess Mr Parker is too blame. He was 6'5", and being a Native Texan looked bigger on the screen. So he was able to load ole Ticklicker with the barrel VENTRICLE.. lol. (Sorry brokennock).

It matters not one bit how the barrel is oriented during loading.

It's a non-issue IMHO.

From The Art of Shooting Flying, 1767, by Thomas Page, conversation between student, Friendly, and teacher, Aimwell:

pg. 27 "Aimwell: ...should a short gun go off by accident whilst you are loading it, you are more exposed to danger, as you will more naturally lean over the muzzle; which, however, in short or longer guns ought always to be avoided. What has happened once may happen again. A gentlemen, whom I knew very well, was out by himself ashooting, and just as he had loaded his gun (though he knew of no defect in the lock, ‘till it was afterward examined) it went off, and scalped him so as to leave the forehead bare to the skull. We may suppose he laid for some time senseless. As soon as he recovered a little, he saw his hat shot to pieces, and himself bloody: perceiving what had happened, he tied a handkerchief about his head and walk’d home, and is now perfectly recovered.

"Friendly: A narrow escape with life indeed! and I am greatly obliged for this caution. Indeed the frequent misfortunes which happen from guns, shew we cannot be too careful in the use of them: and I must agree with you, that we are not so much exposed to such an accident as this from a long gun as from a short one."

Spence

VENTRICLE??? Methinks you've worked too many double shifts in the ICU...😂
You don't know the half of it my friend, lol.

In fact,,,, that is where I was when I wrote that. No longer in ICU though, on an open heart surgery unit,,,, clinically bored out of my mind most of the time. I miss critical patients...

How about some ideas on more likely loading issues, especially of longer guns, rather than creating issues.
Anyone have any tips on loading when one can't stand? Unsure of a shot on game, need a reload while the critter/s is still there, but your sitting or kneeling.
Maybe you're pinned down out in the open, or sitting in a brush blind and couldn't stand anyway.

A longer barrel does hold steady on target and doesn't normally dart around like a shorter or lighter barrel would. For me, a swamped barrel would be a must on any gun over 38" or so. In fact I prefer swamped tubes on all but the shortest rifles. Long barrels are frustrating to transport unless one has a pickup.

A longer barrel does hold steady on target and doesn't normally dart around like a shorter or lighter barrel would. For me, a swamped barrel would be a must on any gun over 38" or so. In fact I prefer swamped tubes on all but the shortest rifles. Long barrels are frustrating to transport unless one has a pickup.

In Texas I'm pretty sure its ILLEGAL to hunt in anything but a pickup...A Jeep maybe, but no way A car.

Commonly heard in high schools..."I got my first car!...Cool, what kind of pickup is it ??"

You don't know the half of it my friend, lol.

In fact,,,, that is where I was when I wrote that. No longer in ICU though, on an open heart surgery unit,,,, clinically bored out of my mind most of the time. I miss critical patients...

How about some ideas on more likely loading issues, especially of longer guns, rather than creating issues.
Anyone have any tips on loading when one can't stand? Unsure of a shot on game, need a reload while the critter/s is still there, but your sitting or kneeling.
Maybe you're pinned down out in the open, or sitting in a brush blind and couldn't stand anyway.

I've been hunting in a sitting position for squirrels and after the first shot didnt wanna move and lose sight of the tree rats, so I shoved the rifle to the side so the muzzle was even with my chest. Then poured powder in. I know it didnt go down the tube, but the ball would shove it down. Next patching from my mouth, then ball from my bag (I gotta get another ball pouch).

Then rammed it home with my ramrod, pulled rifle back into my lap and primed. A few seconds later squirrel #2 showed up. I missed him clean, but he chattered all the way back across the creek.

Started all over again, didnt miss this time, and ended up with 2 squirrels for the morning.

Thats my technique for long barrels and sitting.

You guys also have more cockroaches per capita than any other state LOL.

Pros and cons I guess. Lol.

I think most of the cockroaches got chased back across the Mason-Dixon line....but A few have made it back across the Red River.

Something else they say down here...Choo mess wizz the bull, choo get the horns...🤘

Last edited:
I think most of the cockroaches got chased back across the Mason-Dixon line....but A few have made it back across the Red River.

Something else they say down here...Choo mess wizz the bull, choo get the horns...

In no way shape or form I was I trying to mess with Texas.

I know how incredibly defensive and stubborn you all are. Learned to not step in that cow patty when I lived there for a year LOL! 🤠

From The Art of Shooting Flying, 1767, by Thomas Page, conversation between student, Friendly, and teacher, Aimwell:

pg. 27 "Aimwell: ...should a short gun go off by accident whilst you are loading it, you are more exposed to danger, as you will more naturally lean over the muzzle; which, however, in short or longer guns ought always to be avoided. What has happened once may happen again. A gentlemen, whom I knew very well, was out by himself ashooting, and just as he had loaded his gun (though he knew of no defect in the lock, ‘till it was afterward examined) it went off, and scalped him so as to leave the forehead bare to the skull. We may suppose he laid for some time senseless. As soon as he recovered a little, he saw his hat shot to pieces, and himself bloody: perceiving what had happened, he tied a handkerchief about his head and walk’d home, and is now perfectly recovered.

"Friendly: A narrow escape with life indeed! and I am greatly obliged for this caution. Indeed the frequent misfortunes which happen from guns, shew we cannot be too careful in the use of them: and I must agree with you, that we are not so much exposed to such an accident as this from a long gun as from a short one."

Spence

I completely agree the muzzle should NEVER be pointed at something you care about. That's why I tilt the gun to the side, not in front, so the muzzle is pointed at the 10 o'clock position if high noon is the top of my hat.
Like my Sgt said...MUZZLE MUZZLE MUZZLE!!!

Back