• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Guys & Long Barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey yall. :)

I am 5’ 6.5” tall and with shoes that’s about 5’ 7.5” tall.

I’m submitting specs for a custom rifle (Allen Martin Schimmel) and am trying to decide on barrel length. I would like a 46” barrel if I could get away with it, but might also settle for a 44” barrel.

Anyone out there about my height shoot a 46” barrel such as what’s found on Kibler SMR’s etc.? I love the long and graceful look but don’t want to have a gun that’s real tough to load.

Thanks!

Revolutionary era average height of American men was 5 feet 8 inches, only an inch shorter than today's average of 5 feet 9 inches tall.
British soldiers of the revolution averaged 3 inches shorter than Americans.

I think height is a non issue.

It would be hard to say. Are you skinny, moderately built meaning somewhat average, well muscled, fat? What would your body size and shape tolerate best? Try some different guns or long bars to figure it out.

It would be hard to say. Are you skinny, moderately built meaning somewhat average, well muscled, fat? What would your body size and shape tolerate best? Try some different guns or long bars to figure it out.

I live in Las Vegas and there are essentially no muzzleloading friends here that I’ve been able to meet and try different guns. :’(

I am of moderate build and not fat. I must maintain it as I’m in the military LOL though it’s rather hard due to all the rich food out here!

Barrel length is up to the shooters preference. Your height is a non issue, the only thing I worry about with a longer barrel is; is it swamped or streight and caliber... which all adds up to weight. I prefer a light weight swamped barrel if I go past 42”, anything 42 and under I can handle just fine. Maybe as I get older that will change.

Barrel length is up to the shooters preference. Your height is a non issue, the only thing I worry about with a longer barrel is; is it swamped or streight and caliber... which all adds up to weight. I prefer a light weight swamped barrel if I go past 42”, anything 42 and under I can handle just fine. Maybe as I get older that will change.

it’d be a .45 swamped A-weight whichever length.

Shot competition and hunted w/44" C wt. .50. Back then this 5' 8" guy knew he had to find a hole in the ground to load his gun. Good to git the muzzle to lower altitude to see the hole where the load goes in the barrel. ......oldwood

I live in Las Vegas and there are essentially no muzzleloading friends here that I’ve been able to meet and try different guns. :’(

I am of moderate build and not fat. I must maintain it as I’m in the military LOL though it’s rather hard due to all the rich food out here!
There is a group that meets out at Indian Springs monthly but not every month. Do a search and you should be able to find them. I didn't find them until I was 6 months out from moving so I didn't ever get with them.

Hey yall. :)

I am 5’ 6.5” tall and with shoes that’s about 5’ 7.5” tall.

I’m submitting specs for a custom rifle (Allen Martin Schimmel) and am trying to decide on barrel length. I would like a 46” barrel if I could get away with it, but might also settle for a 44” barrel.

Anyone out there about my height shoot a 46” barrel such as what’s found on Kibler SMR’s etc.? I love the long and graceful look but don’t want to have a gun that’s real tough to load.

Thanks!
Go for it. I'm exactly your height. And I wouldn't hesitate to shoulder a reproduction French trade gun with a 51" barrel at all. I seriously doubt that you'll find any appreciable difference in balance between a rifles with 44" or 46" barrels.

I don't think barrel length and height of its owner have any connection.
You simply lean the gun, like plant the buttplate and take a step to the side, and Eureka, you're able to look into the bore.

Very very few Colonials were the height of Fess Parker.. facts are facts.

Here's some trivia about Parker...I understand he was the tallest man in his landing craft at Normandy, and was the first one to hit the water because of that.

Size DOES matter... but not in this instance.

Height is not the issue for deciding barrel lengths. Some of the top shooters I have seen over the years are average height. The really good ones are muscular and work at keeping fit by lifting weights. Some of these guys, I swear, you could do chin ups on their barrel while they are aiming and they wouldn't notice. I'm about your height and have never been muscular but stayed fit until age caught up with me. You need to handle some rifles before making your decision. BTW, the barrel weight is affected by whether it is swamped or straight and size of bore. Lotsa factors involved.

Back