Short Barrelled Single Shot Pistols

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Desperate Lee

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have several parts left from trades I've done . One complete Colonial kit and almost enough to do 2 more Colonial kits. I may take one and maybe build something like this.
1555620976372-1464163887.png
It is a 5" barreled full stock pistol. I would also like to take one kit and make a 3" shorty type hideout gun. Kinda like a daringer only bigger.
1555628227392-1170749817.png

You guys got any ideas to kick aroundaround?
DL

Desperate Lee

40 Cal
Reaction score
Yeah that top pistol kinda grows on you. Found that picture here on this forum. I believe it was in a post my Grizz44Mag.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
On the beginning of the Plains Pistol thread I started, there are pics of a couple of really nice short barreled Plains Pistols. I'm Talking really really nice. Like way nice, or way-way nice. Check them out.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking that one with the half-round/octagon barrel was a shorty, but it's not. But the half round sure looks nice, I'm thinking about getting a kit one of these days, and doing that. Maybe take a couple of inches off too.

Desperate Lee

40 Cal
Reaction score
Rat
Yeah I like the half round barrel also. I was thinking about my half stock 45 doing the half round barrel but I don't have access to a lathe anymore so it stays like this till I get access to a small lathe again.
DL
IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0650.JPG

Desperate Lee

40 Cal
Reaction score
Stan
That is nice. Let me show you what I may be planning to use to come close to that look.
IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0712.JPG IMG_0709.JPG

I got this about 20 years ago and it has been in my tool box all this time. I even got the warranty. I can get it to about 4" barrel. It is about 5 1 /4" right now. I can't think this one down too much because the cut bout a 3" channel in the stock so you can put the trunnion and pin anywhere along the barrel you want. I
I may have one that will work. It has a small trunnion slot about 1\2 long.I can think this one at down. Barrel can be cut to anywhere between 4 and 5 inches. No drum and nipple just like top picture. God I got too much time on my hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rat

msellers

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
DL,

You can make it oct/rnd the old way and file itto 16 and then 32 flats. Shouldn't take to long to do on a shorter pistol barrel.
I also don't have a lathe, so have to do everything by hand or hire it done. And I am a cheapskate, done more than my fair share of dumpster diving for parts over the years.

Mike

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Never thought of filing a barrel round. One could leave the very bottom flat enough to retain the under-rib, rather than re-fitting one made for a round barrel. Interesting. 16 flats might even look pretty cool. Got to get me a kit.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Kind of a cool hammer on that kit-gun.

Desperate Lee

40 Cal
Reaction score
I bought off evilbay a Kentucky stock and barrel for $40 bucks. Knowing it was not quite right. The stock I stripped and I also stripped the browning off the barrel. This was a kit some poor slup really messed up. Holes were drilled off center and the inletting was really sub par. Anyway I fixed almost everything except the stock is a little twisted or warped.

What I see when I look at that first picture is a short barreled, round grip Kentucky pistol. Well there you go. Looks like I can make a 4", or a 5", or even a 6" shorty. That still leaves me some room for a loading rod thimble underneath. I will post a picture later.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Contemplating this a little I’d opt for 6” if it were me. Thinking along the lines of a revolver the first 2” would essentially be the chamber leaving the last 4” as useable barrel. Having spoken with a fellow who cuts barrels down on revolvers, he felt it took 3.5” to completely consume a standard charge of powder (~30 grns of 3F?).

I do like the lines of the Philadelphia pistol but we also see how poorly it worked on Lincoln at point blank range. Not to mention you’d have a longer sight radius.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes, I think 6" would look nice, and still have some decent ballistics.

Desperate Lee

40 Cal
Reaction score
Yes I agree the 6" would be good. I also liked the 5" one. I may compromise and do a 5 1/2" one. Got a couple weeks to decide. Thanks for your suggestions.
DL